Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm behind a firewall or something, and I donwloading music off WinMX is extremely slow. Like 1 kb/s tops. Yet my roommate right next to me can download at high speeds, and we're both using the school internet. How can I turn this crap off that's doing this to me?

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my computer is a brand new Dell. Ya don't make fun of me. I'm a broke college student, and I got a free flat panel monitor, and free 2 day shipping. Anyway, it's not WinMXs fault even though it does suck, cause my roommate is using it too, and he get's great download speeds.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Is it the other guy?

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I enabled it, and turned off the firewall. Download speeds still suck ass. I can download off the internet at like 300-400 kb/s. But using any P2P program it's about 1 kb/s.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Are you sure it's not the guy you're d/ling from?

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
start-control panel-network connections- doubleclick your connection- properties- advanced tab- uncheck the check box

·
Registered
757 Posts
So you and your roommate are both plugged into jacks in the wall?

Is the firewall the XP firewall or a third-party app you have?

My guess would be something is set incorrectly in WinMX like max download speed is at 1Kb total...

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been trying Ares as well, and that is getting bad speeds too. I think It's XPs settings. I've disabled Nortons firewall.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Before you start digging into the settings..

Unplug the ethernet cable from your roommates computer and plug it into yours, see if that makes a difference.

If not, TZ Connection Booster is a piece of freeware that lumps all the relevent settings into one place. It can be found here..

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4148.html

Install it and you should be able to set the optimal settings for your connection.. if that still doesn't work you may be looking at a bad or improperly installed NIC.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
braka said:
Before you start digging into the settings..

Unplug the ethernet cable from your roommates computer and plug it into yours, see if that makes a difference.

If not, TZ Connection Booster is a piece of freeware that lumps all the relevent settings into one place. It can be found here..

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4148.html

Install it and you should be able to set the optimal settings for your connection.. if that still doesn't work you may be looking at a bad or improperly installed NIC.
It's not my connection. Like I already said, I can download something off of a website at normal cable speeds. It's just P2P programs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts