Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good car for a teen? Only requirements I have is that is must be somewhat good on gas (high teens and up..), and have enough trunk space for a trombone. I really don't want to fool around with a lot of maitenance or spend above $5,000.

I don't really care for looks right now either.

Some cars I've been looking at are 1998-present Ford Crown Vic P71's with about 80,000 miles. What other cars should I look into to?

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
flowbob said:
you forgot your dodgy.

just get a honda of some sort, it'll last you a good while with little to no maintenance, and have good MPG. Nissan and Toyota also make good cars.
No, I was serious. thumup:

For 5k you could pick up a clean hatch. They look good, get great gas mileage, and have TONS of room inside. Plus they are extremely cheap on insurance. It's also easy and cheap so do a motor swap if you ever want more power. :tup

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
El Camino.

18 MPG highway
Hella trunk space
A cool compartment called a "smuggle box"
Badass

But really, any compact car will fit your needs. if all else fails, throw the bone in the back seat.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
older jeep cherokee... around 19mpg, if you dont have enough trunk space in there your trombone is too big.. lol...plenty of power, 4wd, engines are tough as nails.. you're almost guaranteed over 200k as long as normal maintenance is performed (oil, filter changes and such)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HuNtS said:
older jeep cherokee... around 19mpg, if you dont have enough trunk space in there your trombone is too big.. lol...plenty of power, 4wd, engines are tough as nails.. you're almost guaranteed over 200k as long as normal maintenance is performed (oil, filter changes and such)
How old exactly?

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
mavsfan31 said:
How old exactly?
Early - Mid 90's. I can vouch that Cherokees are tanks. I had one but it had the 4.0 inline 6 in it, which got terrible mileage.

Get a 2.5 I4 in a 5speed, you'll easily get 24mpg. Cherokees are fun cars, a lot of times I wish I still had mine. It had 195,000 miles and it still ran strong. I know HuntS has like 200+ on his and it's still going.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
haha 24 mpg with the 4... haha... i wish

driven normally in good condition, the 4.0 will get you anywhere from 16-20 the 2.5 will get you 18-21

reliability is the key though... you wont have to pay much for repairs so you'll have a little extra $ for cash :)

i've seen 99 sports go for around 5k, so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested. and if you ever feel the need, cherokees are just as of roadable as wranglers, and sometimes turn heads when they're llifted :)

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
A lower mileage one can get 24mpg, not one with 255k. Just like my 4.0 was supposed to get like 14-16 but got like.. 9 cause of it's mileage. :p

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
nah, 4.0's are rated higher than that... i think they're 18 city 19 hwy or something along them lines.. i think that's the stick shift ones tho. even brand new the 2.5's are only rated i think 21hwy, 19 city

·
^_^
688 Posts
Anything with a 4A or 4AGE will run forever which encompases older Corolla's MR2s and Celicas.

Older Mercedes Benz 300SDs are amazing eco over 30 highway high 20s city, have more room than you'll probably ever need. the Turbo Diesal Engines will run over 500k miles sometimes a million, just fussy electronics, oh yeah and they accelerate like pigs :/ Oh when I say older I mean early 80s models heh

Any of those would be more like 2 2.5k :)

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
u can get old BMw's too. they get good milage and are well built cars..

my 4runner was $8,000 and it's a 98, loaded w/ about 100,000.

Honestly... i'd go andf buy an early 90's stick Wrangler w/ 4x4 and lift it, put some Procomp muds on it. high travel suspention, make that ***** into a downright bogger.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea, I was just about to ask about the whole BMW repair cost.

I don't plan on ricing anything out either, if I do put any extra money into a car besides repairs, it will be a sound system.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yea, germans make great cars. We have had 3....

On the 4 makes you suggested, any particular models or years I should watch out for? How high of mileage should I stay away from?

·
Registered
956 Posts
mavsfan31 said:
Oh yea, germans make great cars.

I thought BMW was British Motor Works...

But anyways, what do you guys think about a toyota celica? I'm not looking for anything fast or something to rice out. I just want a small car that gets good gas mileage and doesn't break. I know I saw that they come with 1.8litre engines, so I'm thinking the milage is going to be around 30?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts