Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i dont know a lot about cars, but i know sum. im lookin at a car that could be my first. my parents are willing to pay for it, and when they bought my sis' they spent 14k on it, so i think they are gonna pay sumthin around that for me, or cheaper. heres the catch. it has to be safe. so my parents want to get me a volvo. any of you know of a safe car that is still pretty fast (cus all guys need a fast car just a manly thing and sweet). so far im gonna try to tell my parents that if i hav a car thats fast and manoverable ill b able to avoid an accident, but that prolly wont work. so post away and i hope u can help me out. thanks.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
i drive a 2000 accord v6. I guess u could make this a project car which would get u much more speed. The things very safe, metal in the doors (forgot what they call that) and side airbags. So it's safe there. As for speed, meh, okay, u won't be burning the muscle cars unless u turbo or something. My suggestion will most likly be destoryed by the other members who will scream for muscle cars, claming my suggestion is just another ricer.....oh well.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
u could get a used focus or a used srt-4. plus, if u get used, you could have a bunch left over for upgrades. If i had it my way, id go on e-bay and find a used 1968 charger for 14000 and turn it into a project car. But, for a first car, economy is better i guess...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k thanks for the advice, and i dont care if its a ricer or american muscle, just sumtin thats decent speed for me and good saftey for my rents

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Used Subaru WRX STI maybe? Tell them that the AWD (All Wheel Drive) makes it extremely safe in all types of weather, along with the airbags and seatbelts and stuff...

Umm...hmm. Pretty much all new cars are safe. I think '91 or '92 airbags became mandatory, so as long as it's not that old, it'll be safe.

Here's some fast cars that you can try to convince them are safe:
Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (ok sorry, I had to say it)
Subaru WRX (STI preferably)
Toyota Supra (good luck finding one)
Ford Mustang (great aftermarket parts)
Chevrolet Corvette (can be found for pretty cheap depending on year)
Chevrolet Camaro
Mazda RX-7 (becareful, Rotary engines can have problems)

-Jin

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k thanks ill check those out on like vehix or sumtin maybe look threw the classifieds in the paper. if ne1 else has suggestions post away.

·
Registered
250 Posts
bobide said:
metal in the doors (forgot what they call that) .
side impact beams have been in cars sence the 70's... it's just now that safety sells they mention them...

anyway that being said... IMHO fast car... and safe... with a new driver i a complete oxy moron...

the wife and i have already set our standards for the kids cars when they get of age (yes for 14 years from now)... 2 seater... fewer people = fewer distractions... i do buy the better handeling cars = more likely to avoid an accadent theroy... compare to an SUV which you are MUCH more likely to die in then driving a small car... and it will not have any form of turbo or supercharger... a car that can get out of it's own way is good... but to much is just asking for trouble...

the car i learned to drive in was a 82 4x4 6.2L diesel suburban... slow as crap... and i am happy it was so large... i'm comfortable driving even the largest of cars... the 1st car i ever owned was an '85 toyota tercel... 62hp and 75 lb/ft of tourqe... slow slow slow... but it was a great car... reliable, cheap, easy to maintaine... while nothing to be proud of it did it's job.

ok now that i've got my "old guy" talk out...

nothing is wrong with a volvo... wagons are super sleepers... no one expects anything from them... or a volvo for that matter... i've flown past cops many times and never even gotten a 2nd glance..
http://www.paintballforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113160 mine is quicker then prob 90% of the cars on the street...

in your price range... the v70 r awd... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4558006522&category=6464&sspagename=WDVW
260hp turbo awd wagon...

er anyway... i guess i'd sugest the generic FWDer sentra, civic, rolla, neon, focus

all have potental depending on what model you get... some are fairly quick stock... and the special trim ones tend to handel nicely :)...

mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ya my mom drives a v7o awd wagon, but she still is slow as hell, but wut can u espect from a mom. anyways my sis drives a s40, and it seems to go pretty fast, dont know specs of it, and i think i might get it when she goes to college. so ya i guess a volvo wont b all that bad, but still like id rather a mustang.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha ya that would be fun. i dont know to much about upgrades and wutnot but ne ways r there ne kind of ups u can do to a volvo?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
idk wut year my sis's is but thats basically the car she drives. so it should b pretty sweet if i get it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
get a 1967 FORD BRONCO 4x4 w/ 351 Big Block. And Put Some 35 Inche Super Swampers W/ 4 Inche Lift Kit...
Then You Would Have Yourself Something...

·
Registered
250 Posts
zpyro said:
I'm sure there are plenty of rustangs that can beat plenty of vulvas :p
yup... cause most of the volvos aren't owned by people who care :)... or by people that care more about the fact that you will acculy live if somone creams the volvo... or they figure out how to flip the brick...

but how many times can you count of passing a cop doing well over the speed limit w/ them not even blinking at you ;-) seems those "my kid is an honor student at ____ school" doesn't have the same effect on a mustang eh? lol.

i mean who's going to pull over something that looks like this

when there is a hoodlum kid driving a mustang right next to it;-)

while i know the peak numbers aren't that impressive (er at least not the HP) note the tourqe numbers... also note that dyno is known to read a bit low...

then think about the fact that with that setup... he had maybe around $350 into the car... and volvos are much cheaper to start with then a mustang :)... wish i could find pics of the guys who've tossed holsets onto the volvos doh...

and best of all... it's rated to tow your mustang home when you brake down :) 3300 lb tow rating kicks butt :)

er to the kid that started the thread... ya plenty of stuff you can do to volvos... unforatnly not near what you can do to most... but what we have is pretty good... www.ipdusa.com the newer cars are a good bit more expensvie to mod beyond the generic intake/exhaust stuff but they do have some nice upgrade options... worst thing is the new ones are FWD based :(

mark

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
haha i could but im lookin for a car, not like a suv or jeep type of vehicle.

mark thanks for the help. and u do hav a good point about how no1 will want to pull over a volvo wagon. also i dont rly know that much at all about different upgrades and how to install them cus my dad is a computer guy, and pretty much my whole family is like that. os ya know

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the impala seems kinda big and idk if my parents would go for it. plus it doesnt look like it would handle too good.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
k ill hav to ask my rents bout it

1 - 20 of 38 Posts