Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to get a pistol last year, but living in Washington it was a huge pain b/c i was california resident. Also in california its a huge pain to get a pistol, so now that Im in texas i bought a handgun today. 20 minute check and you walk out with the pistol same trip...pretty nice compared to CA 21 day waiting and 25 hour handgun safety course!

i dont have pics yet but its an H&K USP .40 fullsize. I've shot one before and love .40 caliber. I don't like 9 mm and .45 is a tad big for me.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Niceeee. Any plans to get a CCW? That's probably the first thing on my to-do list when I'm old enough. It's either 21 or 23 here, can't remember.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
A kochsucker are we?

Congrats though. I can't wait until I turn 21.

I didn't know my home state had a 25 hour safety course for handgun ownership. Kinda insane.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
NY sucks. I'm applying for my permit when I turn 21 in February, but it takes about 6 months! It also costs about $150 for the permit, and you can ONLY carry concealed. Also, you have to pay to have your permit updated anytime you want to buy a new handgun (and you have to do it before you can buy the gun).

-Jin

D

·
0 Posts
So I wanted to get a pistol last year, but living in Washington it was a huge pain b/c i was california resident. Also in california its a huge pain to get a pistol, so now that Im in texas i bought a handgun today. 20 minute check and you walk out with the pistol same trip...pretty nice compared to CA 21 day waiting and 25 hour handgun safety course!

i dont have pics yet but its an H&K USP .40 fullsize. I've shot one before and love .40 caliber. I don't like 9 mm and .45 is a tad big for me.
For what purpose did you buy this gun?

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
A couple of my friends have handguns...but then again they also have like 10 other guns. Hooray for living near a crap load of rednecks and hicks! haha.

I personally have no point in actually owning my own gun, but I like shooting. Like I just said some of my friends have guns and all of them live out on farms so they all have stuff set up to shoot or have clays to shoot. My cousin has a couple hand guns, but he also works for the county sheriffs department.

Sounds pretty sweet though. Get up pics asap.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Shooting democrats, minorities, hippies, jews, vegetarians and all sorts of dregs to society. After all he's a Texan. Yeehaw!
:dodgy:​

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cuz theyre awesome.

no not really....the past 9 months ive been up in seattle ive grown fond of target shooting. this way i have my own gun to do so!

D

·
0 Posts
cuz theyre awesome.

no not really....the past 9 months ive been up in seattle ive grown fond of target shooting. this way i have my own gun to do so!
Gotcha. Yeah, I think if I ever owned a firearm it would be for the sole purpose of target shooting. That being said, there aren't many ranges around here at all.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Whats wrong with 9mm and .45?

I prefer 40 as you do, but there is nothing wrong with a 9.

Oh yea, nice choice.thumup:

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
I tell ya what a .22 is the most fun gun to shoot for target shooting. I have a 9mm, a .40s&w, and a .45 and I would rather shoot my friends Ruger Mark II .22lr pistol than any of mine if I were just target shooting.

Now self defense purposes is a whole other thread.

Just my .02

anyways congrats on the new piece :tup

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Whats wrong with 9mm and .45?

I prefer 40 as you do, but there is nothing wrong with a 9.

Oh yea, nice choice.thumup:
Bah, both are weak.

.44spl has become a new favorite of mine.;)

Seriously though, I've never realized it, but a .44 magnum/.44spl combo offers a lot of versatility. Standard .44spl loads are along the same line as .45 ACP energy wise, bullet weight wise and recoil wise (which isn't hard to shoot at all in a heavy revolver); with higher power loads running neck and neck with .357 magnum and 10mm in energy (but still having the advantage of a big heavy bullet). If you need even more power you can buy a gun chambered in .44 Magnum, which will shoot both .44magnum and .44spl.

.44 Magnum is considered an acceptable cartridge for brown bear, which is the largest dangerous game your likely to come across in the United States. Therefore, you've got something you can target shoot with, you can hunt with (.44 spl and .44mag are well known as good deer cartridges), you can use as protection against creatures two legged and four legged, and because you're shooting a big bullet you don't need JHP bullet designs to still deliver a lot of thump.

Buy a revolver and a lever gun in .44 Magnum and you've got quite the potent matching pair (with a single action you could even do cowboy action shooting). If you want to go even crazier you can buy a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum and a Ruger Model 44 Carbine, giving you a matching pair of semi-automatic magazine-fed firearms loaded in .44 Magnum/.44spl.:hug:

The only real problem with .44spl/.44mag is the expense, as the rounds aren't as cheap as .38, .357, 9mm, ect. But, reloading can really knock the cost way down and with the amount of ammo the average person shoots in a year it shouldn't be a huge factor.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
I tell ya what a .22 is the most fun gun to shoot for target shooting. I have a 9mm, a .40s&w, and a .45 and I would rather shoot my friends Ruger Mark II .22lr pistol than any of mine if I were just target shooting.

Now self defense purposes is a whole other thread.

Just my .02

anyways congrats on the new piece :tup
That's how I am, for target shooting I love .22lr. Plenty of fun and you can shoot all day for mere pennies. I also have quite a few pellet guns (.117 and .22 cal pellet) that I love, as you can have fun shooting them in your own basement and they're even cheaper to shoot than .22lr. No need for a trip to the range (or a clear day outside). Great for honing your skills or teaching people to shoot.:tup

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
I mainly want a gun for protection honestly. After already being robbed at knifepoint, it'd be nice to be strapped legally during certain times. I'm roughly 20 miles away from KCMO, which is a very, very bad area. So much ****ing crime. Even after being down there so many times, I'm still a little nervous.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Ok, so - what is the Ruger 10/22 of handguns? Good to learn on, affordable, and cheap to shoot.

-Jin
I would say either a .22 or .38spl double action revolver, probably in a medium frame size. They're reliable, easy to learn how to use, easy to learn how to clean, generally accurate, heavy enough that flinching shouldn't be a problem, and pricing is also usually pretty good. Smith and Wesson, Taurus, Ruger, Colt, Dan Wesson, Charter arms, and many other manufacturers make plenty of solid examples ranging from a few hundred dollars to over $1,000 depending on how crazy you want to get. The other nice thing about a revolver is you can buy a gun chambered in .357 magnum, shoot light .38spl loads all day long, then step up to .357 magnum loads when you want to try something with a bit more oomph. The gun can basically follow your skill level right along.

Simple striker fired automatics also tend to be a good option, such as Glocks, XD's, ect. They aren't quite as simple, but they're very popular nowadays and, with a little bit of instruction, are easy to learn proper handling and safety. The XD's are nice as you get a lot of stuff with the gun for your money (pretty much everything you could possibly need except for the ammo). Either way, a full size or compact in 9mm is a pretty good option; making it even better is that you can often pick up a .22lr conversion kit for the 9mm pistols for a few hundred bucks that offers a lot of cheap and easy practice and plinking.

Finally, I really like the Ruger Mark series, especially the 22/45. They offer a lot of bang for your buck. The only thing that makes me weary of saying their the 10/22 of pistols is that they are a PITA to clean/strip, which isn't good for new shooters or those who aren't technically inclined. I feel a revolver is a better option in a basic .22lr for this reason.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts