Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Router 1: Linksys RT31P2
Router 2: Linksys BEFSR41

Router 1 is downstairs, and my cable modem connects directly into it.
I have one computer hooked up to it. DHCP is enabled.
IP Router 1: 192.168.1.1

Router 2 is upstairs, and I want to use it as a switch for all the computers in my room. Disabled DHCP, disabled NAT, disabled 'Block WAN requests'.
IP 'Router' 2: 192.168.2.1

My ethernet cable goes from a standard LAN port on Router 1 to the WAN port on Router 2. I've tried it with the cable going to a LAN port on Router 2, but couldn't really get it to work any better.

Currently the computers on Router 1 (192.168.1.x) cannot ping the gateway of Router 2. The computers on Router 2 (192.168.2.x) can ping the gateway on Router 1, but not the other nodes, and can't get out to the internet. The computers on Router 1 can get to the gateway.

Basically I'm trying to use my upstairs router as a switch, but cannot get it configured right. I had it work for a long time, but then tonight I was messing around and screwed it all up, and now I can't get it how I want it. I believe it has to do with the entries in the routing table, but I can't seem to manually edit it.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eh, never mind. I fixed it myself.

I had to enabled Dynamic Routing (RIP1) on both routers.

So now upstairs can ping downstairs, and downstairs can ping upstairs. Before I started to mess around with it tonight (and broke it), only the upstairs could ping downstairs.

Which means hopefully I can get the downstairs printer networked properly now.

/End useless thread.

-Jin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts