Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my TV has two A/V ports in the front.

I want to hook it up so its stereo instead of mono (basicly adding a Y to the existing port).

I also want to replace the female port becuase theres a faulty connection.

I can either send it to bestbuy, wait 3 weeks, MAYBE get it fixed, and pay $60 to get it done, or I can do it myself.

It says shock hazard.. Any precautions I should take (besides unplugging?)

The usual tap a piece of metal or somethign so I'm grounded will be done.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took it apart and theres too much stuff. Not worth me accidentally bumping somethign and breaking it. The thing is in the front and I'd have to do some soddering.

Bastids...

And the whole price of my life thing, I can't afford to get it fixed, family can't afford to get it fixed either. Money doesn't grow in my wallet.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Certain parts will have the ability to kill you. More likely they'll knock you down and when you come to you'll wonder what happened. Either way it won't be pleasant. If you get inside the thing, don't touch anything and pay attention to what your tools are touching.

For the Y-splitter, you can [probably] get those at radioshack. It's just a little connector that splits the RCA into two ports. Shouldn't even have to take it apart for this. It won't make it true stereo, but it'll play the same sound on both channels. I guess that's close enough.

The bad connection on the other hand, the RCA could have went and seperated itself from the board it was on. If that happened then I can't think of a way that doesn't involve soldering it back down...aside from poking at it and maybe jamming some tape or something in there to hold it in place. Getting to it without breaking anything or getting hurt is likely the biggest problem. If you go that far, just don't get too much heat into the board with the iron. They really hate that.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder how many volts it takes to kill you?

I have a bunch of Y's laying around... My soundsystem in my room is connected to everything, and I was even thinking of connecting it to my alarm clock.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Alpha said:
I wonder how many volts it takes to kill you?

I have a bunch of Y's laying around... My soundsystem in my room is connected to everything, and I was even thinking of connecting it to my alarm clock.
its not the volts that kill you its the amps and i dont rember how many amps it takes and if i rember right theres a capicitor in there that packs a pretty good punch

if you can solder it shouldnt be any problem to fix that loose rca 9 times out of 10 its broken solder on the board at the rca

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
nissantunerdude said:
its not the volts that kill you its the amps and i dont rember how many amps it takes and if i rember right theres a capicitor in there that packs a pretty good punch

I believe it is 5 milliamps directly through the heart to kill you. And yes, there is a capacitor in there that will definitely pack quite a punch. Just be careful what you touch and you should be fine. We take apart tv's and monitors at work all the time to throw them away, since they charge by the pound to get rid of the crt's.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
tv's have some big capacitors alpha. don't mess with it.

hell i was working on my car stereo and touch a live wire. the shock didn't get me. i was holding wire strippers in the hand that touched it and ended up smacking my self in the face and cuttng up my nose.

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YEah, I had a clock radio open once so I could rig up a direct input to teh speakers via a headphones extender... My brother plugged it in, and I hit the power supply with my needle noses. Luckily they were insulated pliars, but the spark weilded a bit of the metal on the side and put a big white blotch in my vision for an hour.

·
look LOOK ! ha you looked
705 Posts
my electonics instructor was working on a t.v. in class that should have been uncharged but some1 had plugged in recently. his screwdriver closed the circut on the capacitor and the part inbetween the contact points was vaporised. it was funny because the handle had like 1 1/2 in. of meteal and then it just ended and the tip of it was sitting there in the tv.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
idk exactly how much electricity it takes to kill you but i know ppl have been killed from putting things in 220v household outlets, tvs have capacitors that store more than the electricity in those.......$60<losing you life

1 - 17 of 17 Posts