Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Thats "Chief" to you...
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys an girls. Let me get an opinion or 3, I run a 98 custom with a flatline barrell and notice that its not as accurate as i would like it. The distance is badass (the first time out when i got it i popped a guy from across the field, lucky shot) but itll put out a 2-3 ft pattern @ 100ft depending on the balls i use. Ive been thinking about getting a 16" sniper barrell but im not sure if ill be better off, if not worse! fill me in, so i dont dump 20-30 bucks on nothing. Later

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
a 16 incher barrel will not increase ur range at all... it mite be a bit more accurate depending on your paint t bore match, but a 16 inch barrel will shoot just as far as a 12/14 incher. IMO stick with the flatline if you really like it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't get the sniper barrel, the flatline is much better. If you are considering upgrading your barrel, get something around 12-14" and a better quality barrel than the sniper one. The flatline is nice, I was thinking of getting one and decided to just upgrade my marker.

·
12,110 Posts
I'm doing a science fair project on paintball trajectory and its relationship to the barrel.

First of all, flatlines are hella inaccurate. They always are and will be. Ever play with a gyroscope? Its really stable on one axis (and if you try to hold it up, it wants to move around on its own), but sort of weak on the other axis. So what you have is, an unstable axis to worry about.

That means, the up and down movement will be pretty easy to predict, and should remain a constant, but wont be very good side to side.

In simpler words, the axis that its spinning on will have the most room for play.

The tippmann sniper barrels pretty much suck. Tippmann makes good markers,I'll give them that, but they arent a barrel company.

Longer barrels are not more accurate, dispite common belief.

Good brands to throw at you are:

J&J Performance, Dye, Empire (Not a fan of their twister barrels.. in fact, stay away from rifling altogethor), and I'm not a fan of them, but Lapco has certainly been around the paintball industry from a long time.

Hope that helps!

·
Thats "Chief" to you...
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im really looking for a range/accuracy combination. i would prefer to paint my target without going through 200 rounds at close range to do it. Ive heard a lot of good things about the J&J equipment, do they make a barrell worth getting the adaptor for?

·
12,110 Posts
You dont need an adapter. Major barrel companies (like all I mentioned) make barrels in different threads ranging from cocker to angel to impulse to A5 and Tippmann 98 threadings.

JJ Ceramic barrels can be found for around $35, and are very nice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
12 inch J&J ceramic is a good barrel. I use one on my a5. It'll shoot most mid sized paint very well, and it is pretty quiet (especially compared to a flatline)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a 14" J&J Ceramic. It is very good as long as you use a slightly smaller paint (XBall Silver works well), but if you use a larger bore then you WILL have breaks (and a lot of them).

·
Registered
599 Posts
.68 can mean that the bore size can be from .680 to .699. I would buy a good brand name paint (XBall Silver works very well with the J&J) and try it. Or you can try to use the online charts to match paint to barrels, but I've found that they can be unreliable. Maybe one of the moderators can help you more than I can. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
i use a tippmann 16 sniper barrel..i like it alot...i get good distance and great accurace....i used to use a 16in nite stick....and i like my tippy better

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
16 inches make sa tippy like a freaking walking stick. stick with a 14 inch. you'll be glad you did. I saw a guy witha 16 inch on his tippy and he had a realyl hard time staying tight and moving around cuz it was so long

1 - 20 of 22 Posts