Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sooo my A/C is not cold, and its pissing me off. it blows fine but its just hot air.....do u think its just the freon (SP)? ummm i tried to buy one of the little cans at like autozone but the guy was like "do u know wat ur doing? do u have the gauges and kno the pressures required?" of course i didnt so he said i shouldnt fill it myself.

what do i need to know, cuz itd be ALOT cheaper to do it myself. do u think its just my freon since my a/c still blows....just not cold? help! homecoming is next week and i need a/c!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
you gotta figure out what kind of stuff you have... r-12, or whatever the new stuff is.. if you have r-12 you can find it, but it's expensive, and once supplies run out, they run out... if you have the newer stuff, buy a can with a guage built onto it (i've seen em at auto stores) and fill to your vehicles reccomended amount (mines like 2.5 lbs i believe)...

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
ok, um, freon doesnt get old and go bad or w/e so if your AC doesnt work it could be a couple reasons.

1. Your compressor doesnt work
2. Theres a couple of switches that could go bad (low pressure switch, dash switch)
3. and of course the most common, a leak. Its nice thinking you can just stuff some more freon in there and it will be fixed, BUT u gotta remember, the only reason you dont have freon is cause u have a leak. If its a small leak then ur charge might last about a year at best. Some leaks will let all the freon out in 3 seconds, most take about 1-4 months. So just being freon is a risk.

now, idk what u have, r-12 or r134a, dependswhen ur car was made, i believe the cut-off date was 1994, (earlier is r-12, after is 134a). r12 is NOT sold to the public, you have to have a license in Air conditioning or be certified in some way. And even if u found some it costs about 10x more then 134a. BUT they do sell a subsitute, they have a bunch of names, "freeze 12" "ice 12" and stuff like that, costs the same as 134a

if you have a r12 car, DONT PUT 134a in it, or your compressor will seize

you can pm me if u want me to help u find the problem

·
Xplicit Eg06
4,567 Posts
Welll.....

I have a s-10 almost EXACTLY like yours, and I have the same problem. But mine is due to the fact that my serp. belt has been routed to bypass my A/C compressor. The company that had my truck b4 me, had the a/c go out on them, and then they replaced all the equipment but never got the correct sized belt back on it.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
HuNtS said:
yeah i know my 1993 jeep has r-12 (doesnt work and i'm not paying 50$ per lb to refill it) and our '94 dakota has r-134a so chrysler switched in 1994...
yea my dads garage charges 79$ to do a complete charge.

you wouldnt believe how much money garages make on freon, it really should be illegal. you say they charge 50$ a pound where your at? most garages use 30lb cans of freon (about the size of a propane tank) and the 30lb can costs the garages around $110.

·
chicks dig scars baby!
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RB said:
Welll.....

I have a s-10 almost EXACTLY like yours, and I have the same problem. But mine is due to the fact that my serp. belt has been routed to bypass my A/C compressor. The company that had my truck b4 me, had the a/c go out on them, and then they replaced all the equipment but never got the correct sized belt back on it.

Just a thought.
well mine wasnt overfilled cuz it just stopped blowin cold air gradually awhile ago so i know it wasnt that, but thanks for the thought.

and yea, its a 2000 s-10 for those who said they didnt know the year. i forgot to include that with the original post. maybe its my compressor? hmm....damn, this thing has been nickel and diming me since i bought it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
well the compressor wont turn on without freon, it simply wont, its a safety switch

::cracks knuckles:: ok here we go

the low pressure switch is the final switch that feeds the compressor power. I circled it in this pic i stole from ebay. Theres a thing that looks lke a huge soda can, kinda looks like a aluminum 40oz'er, lol. Well thats called the receiver/dryer (also called an accumulator). Well, 3 things go into it. 2 of them are hoses. the 3rd thing is wires that go to a switch, the low pressure switch. unplug it. start the engine. Look in the wire side of the plugu just took off, should be 2 terminals in there, just bend up a paper clip to jump the two terminals, if this turns on your compressor you'll know it, and then u know your compressor is fine (ONLY let it run for a couple seconds, just long enough to know it does turn on)

hope it works, because they are getting VERY expensive, like 500$ for a rebuilt one these days

1 - 11 of 11 Posts