Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i made this thread, but i'm really really sick of oil (see other thread if you must)

I was thinking, hydrogen is a substance that can store power, right? What does gas do in your engine? It creates energy in a "controled explosion", why can't we do this with hydrogen when it stores energy.

any thoughts? I know it sounds a bit wack..

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
Does oil really bother you that much..?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you have no idea....

i'm paranoid about prices, our dependancy, everything.

Its either an alternative arrives, or our system is pretty much...done for.

USA thrives on oil.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That is what i thot hydrogen was at first. Just burning hydrogen instead of fossil fuels.I think that is what u meen. I dont know why this wouldnt work. I think it is because hydrogen is a gas, im not sure if it is stored like this tho. if is is stored as a gas then it would be too dangerous. It would be like hair spray bottle with a match. The gas the hairspray bottle lights on fire but sometimes the flames go bake into the bottle. The gas inside the bottle dosnt just light on fire in explodes. Now imagine this whith a huge tank og hydrogen

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hydrogen powered cars is definetly a reality... only problem is cost and fuel distribution. Not to meantion and INCREDIBLY high pressure tank of HYDROGEN could lead to some problems considering the number of accidents on the road.

I have a diagram of a working hydrogen engine in my chemistry book i think...

·
Anne Coulter's #1 Fan
4,291 Posts
128shot said:
i know i made this thread, but i'm really really sick of oil (see other thread if you must)

I was thinking, hydrogen is a substance that can store power, right? What does gas do in your engine? It creates energy in a "controled explosion", why can't we do this with hydrogen when it stores energy.

any thoughts? I know it sounds a bit wack..
You my friend, need a bike....

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's an idea...

and i have a bike. Its a fun bike. Its got the pimpest seat ever. Its all gel and soft..

just saying. if hydrogen stores energy, than it should be able to work in current engines..

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
There is energy in every molecule on earth. The potential energy yield of some is just greater because the energy input required to release that energy is low relative to the energy that is produced.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
true....

but can't hydrogen hold more energy if manipulated?

·
Registered
917 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
Yep, A hydrogen ion with 3 electrons yields enormous amounts of power.
A hydrogen ion with 3 e- is very rare in nature, due to its very reactive state.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Isnt there already a thread on this?

Our sun is powered by hydrogen fusion. Sure the sun has over 99.9% of all the matter in the solar system, but thats how the sun is powered to 15 million kelvin and heats earth. Hydrogen is pimp, and once we harness it economically, itll be awesome.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Lordgunner said:
Burning hydrogen? Don't you break a hydrogen atom to cause energy, fission?
......................................lordgunner, u ever heard of a zepplin??? I don't think the atom was broken. People weren't allowed to smoke on hydrogen blimps because BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I mean, when anything explodes it need oxygen...who's to say that there won't be fusion of hydrogen and oxygen and create water and crap...streets would be wet. But I taint sure.

But an even better motive of fuel would be like that on the old submarines. Diesel/electric. A very efficient. Run off of diesel to charge the batteries, then use the batteries.
We already have electric cars, y not modify them?

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
xxxfirexxx said:
......................................lordgunner, u ever heard of a zepplin??? I don't think the atom was broken. People weren't allowed to smoke on hydrogen blimps because BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I mean, when anything explodes it need oxygen...who's to say that there won't be fusion of hydrogen and oxygen and create water and crap...streets would be wet. But I taint sure.

But an even better motive of fuel would be like that on the old submarines. Diesel/electric. A very efficient. Run off of diesel to charge the batteries, then use the batteries.
What the ****?

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
xxxfirexxx said:

Please read up on fusion. Then edit your post to appear informed.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
well what i'm talking about is that if not properly stored right a hydrogen engine could be a *****. I'm not sure, but I know in my T.A.G. class that we read up on it, it said that the hydrogen would have to be stored at an extremly low temperature and such if I'm not mistaken. I mean, hydrogen is very explosive, and if something goes wrong you could possibly blow your ass up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts