Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Michael
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mac laptop. it's pretty powerful for a laptop but, i'm starting to want a multimedia machine. More specifically I kinda need a PC as well as a mac.

I don't know too much about purchasing computers, and while i'm probably capable of building my own...I really don't have the time to mess with that.

So...i was just wondering what you guy's experiences are with buying desktops

I don't really have a price range and i haven't kept up with what components are good and what they cost nowadays.

Is it still pretty standard to have a gig of ram?

I've always followed Intel processors but of late i don't really know the difference between the ones above pentium 4. can anyone tell me the difference between the intel core duo and the dual core?

Also the quad core processors....are those really worth getting? i mean...aside from ridiculous stuff...is any program or app going to benifit from having 4 times the processing power of the ones that were being used like 3 years ago?

basically just tell me some general info about the whole process of purchasing a desktop (refurb or new)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I haven't been following processors much either but as far as ram, it depends a lot on if you use xp or vista. For an xp machine, 2gigs is really all you will need but for vista your going to want more like 4 as it is more of a hog.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If you do use windows, I would definitely use xp. Even if it comes with vista, you could always downgrade to xp as long as drivers are available. I made the mistake of buying a new laptop with vista preloaded thinking I could format and put my own copy of xp on but there aren't any drivers for much of the hardware making me stuck with vista..

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
You want a core 2 duo. The wolfdale cores are awesome, very efficient as far as energy and heat go. For ram get 2 gigs of ddr2-800 or 4 gigs if using vista. A lot of stuff has started to being using multiple cores however quads continue to only really stand out with video encoding and other more niche tasks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts