Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, last night i recieved an IM from "Bootlegcatcher" saying

Dear Mr. (my last name)

I am from the FTC. We have detected illegal pirating software on your computer and advise you delete it before the government finds you and penilizes(sp) you. You can be fined up to $12,000 and 3 years of juvinile detention.

So at first im all scared thinking omg i better delete it.

Then i deleted it and i said can you check if im fine, then he said he needed my telephone number, Full name, address... and so i said "Nope." Then he says, Sir im with the FTC. By this point im becoming sceptical so i ask why he needs that. He replys so he can get my IP. I happen to know ways to find it so i do and give it to him. Then he says when he runs the check my mouse might shake violently and my computer will crash. I say dont do it he says fine. He does a different check then says "your mainframe has been lost" (no idea what that means.) I say ok i need to go, and sign off.

What im thinking now is

A. If i recall correctly the FCC deals with piration
B. If he knew my IP originally why would he need all of my personal information
C. Why would someone "from the FCC" warn me instead of busting me
D. The FCC is the government so why would he say "before the government finds you

Basically what do you guys think. Is he for real? It definatly did not seem like a kid because he typed insanely fast and seemed very official (reffered to me as "Sir" every time he said something)

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I pulled a prank like that on my friend. I can type insanely fast and I was just very respectful and polite and I laughed really hard at the end because I got him to delte 400 songs

·
Registered
895 Posts
It was most definitly someone you know who pranked you. First of all, FTC=Federal Trade Commision which has nothing to do with the prosecution of piraters. Second of all, they would have to contact your ISP to get your last name, and they wouldnt know you are a kid unless its someone who knew you.

·
Registered
728 Posts
maybe a phiser I would see whats up with that.
its always fun to give his name to some hacker friends.

·
Registered
728 Posts
just remember he has yours
there is a place you can go actually to put in your IP and it will tell you if the gov has summoned info on it therefore your screwed.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
paintballa22 said:
Okay, last night i recieved an IM from "Bootlegcatcher" saying

Dear Mr. (my last name)

I am from the FTC. We have detected illegal pirating software on your computer and advise you delete it before the government finds you and penilizes(sp) you. You can be fined up to $12,000 and 3 years of juvinile detention.

So at first im all scared thinking omg i better delete it.

Then i deleted it and i said can you check if im fine, then he said he needed my telephone number, Full name, address... and so i said "Nope." Then he says, Sir im with the FTC. By this point im becoming sceptical so i ask why he needs that. He replys so he can get my IP. I happen to know ways to find it so i do and give it to him. Then he says when he runs the check my mouse might shake violently and my computer will crash. I say dont do it he says fine. He does a different check then says "your mainframe has been lost" (no idea what that means.) I say ok i need to go, and sign off.

What im thinking now is

A. If i recall correctly the FCC deals with piration
B. If he knew my IP originally why would he need all of my personal information
C. Why would someone "from the FCC" warn me instead of busting me
D. The FCC is the government so why would he say "before the government finds you

Basically what do you guys think. Is he for real? It definatly did not seem like a kid because he typed insanely fast and seemed very official (reffered to me as "Sir" every time he said something)
yea dude its probley one of your friends

if it was really the cops would they warnd you first?

and

would they contact you on AIM??or what ever messager you are using

·
Registered
296 Posts
well i think its **** that they won't let u download music like that.cause theres a some music that i want to buy but the fcc won't sell it to me so i think i have a right to just download it for free then.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
SEFishy said:
well sence u gave hi ur ip your computer is now open to anything he wants to do to it. unless the ip is dinamic
i think you need more than ip to take over someones comp

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
paintballa22 said:
Then he says when he runs the check my mouse might shake violently and my computer will crash. I say dont do it he says fine. He does a different check then says "your mainframe has been lost"
Haha, that part made me laugh. There's no motors in mice. And he just used the word mainframe to sound technical.

-Jin

·
Registered
88 Posts
For one, he'd have your ip way before asking if it was true.
For another, with your ip, he would have software to get your address and phone number.
The checks wouldn't mess with your computer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
one thing u could do is have the icon thingy that u click on to install it on your comp in your recycle bin and every time u are done downloading just go to add or remove programs and remove it.so that way if anyone catches u u can just say "well i had it a lng time ago and deleted it"and then if they look in your comp they will find it in there and let u off the hook.thats what my cousins do with there roms and emulators.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Xo3, that won't work. They don't see how many times you've downloaded from your desktop, they check the ip and download list.
ex: ip 22.222.222.:
Neva eva .............. 2/2/04
"new song".................6/6/04

That new song on june 6, 2004 would give your cover away. It's not exactly like that but somethin like that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thats kinda funny, people these days. Anyway for the govnt to get your IP they have to go through your ISP. For mainly cable and dsl users free file sharing is bad for them. When downloading and uploading with the bandwidths changing by increasing and decreasing drastically, The ISP could run a check and see what your doing, and if they find that your downloading things they can contact the part of govnt which deals with these problems. But most wont. With dial up its slow anyway, i can be downloading like 10 songs at like 2.45 or 4.43 each, with ppl uploading at like .55 which would show something for the ISP, but since dial up has such low upload and download speeds its not much of a noticable difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts