Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to a driving range last week and I liked it a lot. I'm thinking about trying out in high school next year if I get decent at it. Now I don't understand what all the numbers on the chippers mean? Also sometimes I keep missing the ball or going too low and scooping up a small pile of grass. How can I avoid this? Any good ideas or ways to better practice? I have 2 acres and I can practice a lot, mainly I just swing and aim for a target. I wanna make the team next yr badly...

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
The numbers on the clubs (not chippers) determine the length and loft of the club. The higher the number on the club, the farther and lower the ball goes. You will be able to it a 3 iron (club with a 3 on it) farther than you would be able to with a 9 iron. The ball you hit with the 9 iron will go higher and wont roll as far as the ball you would hit with a 3 iron.

There is more than one kind of club in golf. There are drivers, woods, irons, wedges, and putters. You can hit the farthes with the drivers. The woods are the next longest. Usually there are 3 woods, 5 woods, and 7 woods (numbers on the club, woods have larger heads). Irons are anywhere in between the woods and the wedges. Irons are numbered 2-9 and the faces of these clubs have a larger loft (tilt) as the number gets higher. Wedges dont have long distance at all, but the ball goes high. There are pitching wedges (chipping, shots from the ruff), sand wedges (self-explanatory), and lofting wedges (close range, the club face has a huge loft). Lastly there are putters. You use these on the green and the fringe (very edge of green). Those are the most common kinds of clubs used in golf.

I am really into golf and play it at least once a week. It's relaxing in my opinion.

A good way to not hit the top of the ball or take too much turf out on a swing, is to just keep your head down and practice. The more you play the better you will get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts