Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just purchased an Action Ghillie 2 suit.

Do Ghillie suits really work to conceal you? I would think so.

Does anyone have a Ghillie suit that they use? What are some tips for how to use it properly?

Thanks Fellas.

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
There hot, and aren't particularly effective as concealment at close range. Gillie suits only function in paintball if you like to camp out in woodsball games.....

Sorry, it's been taht way from the first time I stepped on a field more than a decade ago, and it's the same everytime I go out to play/ref a game now. The guy with the gillie is always in the back, always hiding trying to play "sniper" and usually has the least eliminations...

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
And to be quite honest, ghillie suits are really locational things. A ghillie suit that works here will almost never work over there.

Ghillies were made my snipers in the terrain that they were in at the time. They aren't made to be taken to every single place you can think of, it just won't work. Terrain patterns, colors, and shrubbery is just to diverse to have one ghillie suit keep you camoflauged everywhere.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
So, are you saying any ghillie suit will make you amazing?

So if I have a tan ghillie suit, it will still function flawlessly in the woods?

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
I see...

Sadly, I have this horrible feeling that you're completely wrong...

·
Boom Chika Wha Wha!!!
245 Posts
As one of two brothers who are ex-army I would have to disagree with dark angel. The colours of any suit is directly related to the current location you are in. A suit in traditional NATO colours of black, brown and green are ok for a very dense wooded area(not great sniper locations) for terrain such as Montana you would stick out like a sore thumb. What you do with most suits is assemble them in location and with local "scrim" which would be foliage from the area of operations. This method of individual field use suits is the only way that it will be effective. Between me and my brother we have 6 different suits.

Now, as for snipers in paintball. You may camp and call your self a sniper but the inconsistancy of paintballs precludes accuracy. Now don't argue flatlines. They give you range but do not increase accuracy. And at max range of a flat line the ball has lost so much energy that the ball very well may not brake most of the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't plan to just sit back try to hit moving targets.

I plan to move around and look for targets. I just think the ghillie suit will help to conceal me better when i stop moving because i found a target. I don't think you can just sit somewhere and wait. number one it's boring and number 2, your odds for getting a long distance kill are low.

As far as using it in different environments, the ghillie suit can be adjusted to match the terrain you will be in and for the time of year. if you're in the woods in the fall you can go with more brown. If it's summer, more green. I like that it's adjustable. it's one reasons i got it.

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
well, I paintball kinda often >.<

well, whatever will tickle your pickle I suppose...

·
Registered
533 Posts
i could never stand a full suit, im too impatient, one of my friends came out to the woods last weekend with a new mask, it was one that had full head coverage, he put a lot of the local shrubs in the top and it worked quite well, untill he moved, we are in the pacific northwest and you cant get through the woods without making a fair amount of noise:hug:, all i had to do was sit still from time to time and i could get a general idea of where he was:dodgy:, he did plaster one of my friends though when he held still for long enoufgh, my other friend never knew he was about 10 feet away untill the paint started flying:eek:, he only had the mask and some regular camo on but because you couldnt see his head it worked quite well
Stealth is 90% movement, 10% camouflage.

A ghillie will help you but it is cumbersome. My suggestion would be mask and gun with three-dimensional scrim paired with proper two-dimensional camouflage (regular pants and shirt). Move correctly and it'll work just as well as a ghillie suit.

Remeber this -- when you are laying prone and someone is looking opposite your point of view -- they can only see your head and marker for the most part. If you are using any environmental foilage then chances are you are only sticking out your... you guessed it... HEAD AND MARKER.

Good luck out there!

·
Thats "Chief" to you...
1,671 Posts
They are amazing if you are a sniper and you'll be a BAMF.
yes, they are great for snipers. ANYWHERE
*sigh* no one understands sarcasm anymore...

As one of two brothers who are ex-army
Canada has an ARMY?! :sly:

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't plan to just sit back try to hit moving targets.

I plan to move around and look for targets. I just think the ghillie suit will help to conceal me better when i stop moving because i found a target. I don't think you can just sit somewhere and wait. number one it's boring and number 2, your odds for getting a long distance kill are low.

As far as using it in different environments, the ghillie suit can be adjusted to match the terrain you will be in and for the time of year. if you're in the woods in the fall you can go with more brown. If it's summer, more green. I like that it's adjustable. it's one reasons i got it.

Anyway, thanks again.
Good for you. I love seeing guys in gillies out at the field. We call them "targets". thumup:

·
Bringer of large farts
2,370 Posts
Canada has an ARMY?!

unfortunately they forgot that there was a canadian arm patch on his uniform...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts