Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I missed the boat on this one. Had to be informed by Mike Phillips :s

GI SPORTZ ACQUIRES KEE ACTION SPORTS | G.I. Sportz Blog

GI Sportz is pleased to announce that it has acquired KEE Action Sports. The acquisition brings together two industry leaders and multiple iconic brands providing an unparalleled product line to the dealer/field base with the best customer service in the paintball industry. With the acquisition of KEE, GI Sportz has brought together a management team comprised of seasoned industry leaders and players with a primary goal of passionately promoting and growing the game of paintball.

“I am extremely excited about this deal as we have now completed the team roster that this industry needs to bring it back to the success of earlier years. The industry has needed a plan to turn it around and I believe this acquisition will be the catalyst in revitalizing the industry I love!” commented Richmond Italia, Chairman and CEO of GI Sportz. “From day one, GI Sportz has been built around its passion for paintball and is vested in the success of the industry. With the addition of the KEE product lines and committed staff, GI Sportz can focus more of its resources on creating a healthier and stronger paintball landscape.”
I had thought KEE would buy GI, not the other way around.

NB: Lawl, I didn't know Spyders were KEE too

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
You pretty much have them and Valken to supply paint. I think there is a great opportunity for another company to rise up from this. Some people have said about 1/3 to 1/2 of the paint was previously made in China, and they plan to cut that out. If true, the Chinese will be looking for a new company to sell through.

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
I very much doubt that, think about it, you make the paint in china, then ship it over here (there is no way you are flying that much paint), distribute it to vendors and finally sell it. sweat shop makes the paint and packs up a container, lets say a week to put that all together, on a container ship the absolute fastest it would get from china to the US is about 2 weeks, more than likely its going to be 3 or 4 since these ships stop in multiple ports along the way, another week to get it to the vendors and however long until you go in and buy it, paint is already roughly 2 months old by the time it is in your hands

I am not saying nobody does this but it just seems a little unlikely that most or even a lot of the industry would do this

I could see that being the case with monsterball however with how thick the shells are, its built for something like that.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
APX makes the HK paint, or at least they did.

Trbo, this was from 2014.
KEE (Empire, RPS) closes Florida \ US Paint Plant

From Tampa Bay newspaper:

"KEE Action Sports, the biggest maker of paintballs in the world, has closed its Clearwater manufacturing facility and is shipping the bulk of the work to cheaper labor in Asia.

CEO and president John Robinson said about a third of the production — "high and mid-grade stuff" — will be sent to the company's plant in London, Ontario. Most of the work will go to Asia through strategic partnerships with producers in Taiwan and China."

I think Dye was a company that also imported a lot of paint. EDIT- it appears KEE started using the paint manufacturer in Asia DYE was using when they stopped making paint.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I made this comment about this on another forum recently:

It's less "GI buys KEE" than it is "one investment firm that already owns an assortment of paintball companies acquires more paintball companies from another investment firm."

And no, I don't like it. Lack of competition just leads to more stagnation and control over prices.

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
ok, I was wrong. seems odd to me still but if they found a way to make it work cool.

I agree with your last statement however. Also one of the reasons I have not liked the shift towards macro-less and custom regulators. markers are becoming stock parts and stock parts only deals where it doesnt matter that CP doesnt make a marker they can still survive on regulators and ASAs, they cant do that with the new stuff on the market. How long before barrels become stock items only?

Nolonger is it "what have you done to your marker"? its "what color did you get it in?" Companies cant get into the sport by making aftermarket parts anymore, they have to have a large budget and start making markers up front.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
To be fair, trbo, the market has pretty much already reached that point.

The guys selling guns stepped up their game in the "must upgrade" parts. That's just how business goes. CP is still a great company, but you'r right about their parts not being necessary anymore for new guns.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Aaaaaaaaand GI closed the KEE Canadian plant. Not sure the impact on the US, but it doesn't sound good for the Canadian market.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
PBN poster, BUT... John confirmed it. GI Sportz dissolved Canadian KEE and closing warehouse

They are claiming that the paint will be sold through Badlands, but they cancelled all empire paint and equipment orders to the stores. He alleges he has sources who own fields, and the cost is raising by 25%.

None of that is confirmed, it is only confirmed that they shut down and going through badlands now.

Edit- Nick Sloviak pretty much confirmed that the prices are going up in Canada. "The paintball company I work for has let me know the costs they have to operate at and the exact reasons why the costs have increased in Canada."

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
so someone remind me of the connection between GI sports and GoG again, was it GI owned Gog or they just had a partnership something like that?
There is no connection between them. John over on PBN said this within the last few days, but I can't seem to remember where I read it at. There was originally supposed to be one, but I think it fell through.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts