Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so today I brought my mom's car in the garage to work on it.

I got her car running better and she left so she told me to pull the jeep back up.

So I decide to drive around a little bit. I'm about 5 yards from my driveway and all of a sudden the car shakes and makes a cranking noise.

I shut the car off and saw a Universal Joint laying in the street.

Had my buddy's dad come tow it for me.

So yeah I need a new rear driveshaft and most likely a new universal joint.

I'm not too bummed about it because I only paid 100 bucks for the car, but it just pisses me off that this happens and I'm about to sell it.

Well I'm going to the junkyard this weekend since my dad is visiting then he's coming back and we'll put it in over winter break.

It just randomly did it... I mean I was going 55 down my street and started slowing down. Stopped and put my signal on and started to take off to go in my driveway and BAM! It happened.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
hey man.. i'm almost 100% sure you wont need a new driveshaft! same thing happened to me.. the only difference is i did a burnout, broke mine and it flung around at about 4500 rpms for a while.. it bent the round holes in a little bit thket and a hammer, put a new u joint in, and it works fine... give yours a try before you go searching for a new one.. unless it's noticeably bent or broken, it's probably fine

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
1337PAINTBALLER said:
It just randomly did it... I mean I was going 55 down my street and started slowing down. Stopped and put my signal on and started to take off to go in my driveway and BAM! It happened.
Hey, just be happy it didnt happen when you were going 55, you might have more problems on your hands then. It's not so much of a big project to get a new driveshaft in there, maybe aggrivating, but at least its not hard.

352 Posts
yea that would suck a giant dick :dodgy:

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
It definately coulda been worse. If you were driving an MN-12 car (cougar and thunderbird), and if the driveshaft woulda snapped going about 55, well, the car could have possibly erupted into a fireball. I didn't know this untill after I got rid of my cougar, that the gas tank sits just above the drive shaft I think. If its not, its only inches from the tank. 55 in one of those cars when that sucker went, wouldn't have been pretty.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I started to noticed that once the car got up to about 55, the backend would start to shake and it wouldn't go any faster. The speedo goes up to 85 and I'm sure it could go faster than that.

If I desperatley need to drive the car *i.e. mom's car breaks down* I can take the driveshaft out, put it in 4 wheel drive and it will basically be front wheel.

My pops is flying down tomorrow so we're gonna go get the parts then put them in over christmas break.

But yeah going 55 and having that happen would have sucked.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
auto maggot said:
local parts store has u-joints for 8-15 bucks. it's a straight forward job as long as the u-joint didn't break in half or something and tear up the ears on the pinion yoke.
Well I'm almost positive I need a whole new driveshaft.

You sure about the joints for that price? I looked on ebay and didnt find any but I found seals and what not for 14 bucks.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 1990 Jeep Cherokee.

I'm not sure what's 100% completely wrong with it. I don't know a whole lot about axles and things like that.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a license, so I rarely get to go that fast cause my moms a freak. :p

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
thepunkdrummer said:
It definately coulda been worse. If you were driving an MN-12 car (cougar and thunderbird), and if the driveshaft woulda snapped going about 55, well, the car could have possibly erupted into a fireball. I didn't know this untill after I got rid of my cougar, that the gas tank sits just above the drive shaft I think. If its not, its only inches from the tank. 55 in one of those cars when that sucker went, wouldn't have been pretty.
Yeah, pretty much any RWD car has that situation. But idk if at 55 it would have enough power to punch a hole into the gas tank...maybe.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I went to a junkyard, found a perfect match, same year, engine, tranny, everything.

Took the driveshaft out with the U-Joint attached, only paid 18 bucks for the whole thing! :):)

Though now I need another part, the thing that the driveshaft connects to. It's driveable though.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
mine just did this same thing... i highly doubt you needed a new shaft... mine did the same thing and my original with 250,000 miles is still in there... also DO NOT drive it in "front wheel drive" AT ALL if you dont need to... when you take the driveshaft out your transfer case fluid will drain and if you fry your transfer case no more 4wd...

also, you'll need a rear oil seal for your transfer case.. i guarantee your driveshaft ripped it to pieces if it fell. those run around 8$ at an auto parts store... if you need the yoke (the piece the driveshaft connects to on the axle) you can go to a chrysler/dodge/jeep dealership and buy a new one for a fairly low cost and that way you know it's new and good and peachy and all that

the rear end on your cherokee should be a Dana 35 c-clip 27 spline.. if you need that information... and if you can afford 5$ to buy a new set of straps, do it.. you shouldnt use the same straps that hold the driveshaft on the yoke if you have something like that happen, because odds are they probably bent and are pretty weak/bent out of shape now.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dude the driveshaft was broken pretty bad.

I already fixed it bro. I just need the thing that the shaft connects to. One of the little tabs broke off and even though the U-Clamps hold it on it's still good to have that tab there.

The part is 34 bucks and I figure I might as well.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
yeah... make sure you get the right one though.. the tabs broke off mine when it happened also, and i ended up ordering the wrong piece... that's wierd that your shaft broke, take pics for me if ya can!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts