Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just seeing what's out there, not really sure if I would do it or not. But what's a relatively cheap car/truck/whatever that has high MPG and is still good in snow?

I currently have a Ford F150, and it's ok on gas, but great in the snow. I've been thinking with the rising gas prices, maybe I should sell the Ford and buy something for a daily driver that is better with gas, and keep the Z for a weekend cruiser. Of course you know that once the weather is nice again, 'weekend cruiser' will turn out to be 6 days of the week...

-Jin

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
you could get an oldschool (80s) toyota pickup. I've had my 86 for a while and it loves snow. Plus, its good on gas, being its a four banger. It's what I drive during the winter b/c the talon (and possibly ls/vtec turbo'd integra) reside in the garage. Gotta hate indiana winters and what it does to the body on your vehicle. Anyways, you can pick one up for dirt cheap, go for liability only, and you're set for winter.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
Ahmadi6490 said:
Fwd does better than Rwd.
Depends. I know I may sound crazy for saying this, but I'd rather drive my old cougar than a friends grand am gt in snow. I was driving home one night and I had the grand am and as usual these godforsaken county roads aren't marked w/turn signs, and I about put her in a few ditches. The car just wanted to go straight and not turn at all. If I screw up in the cougar I can control it easily if I make a mistake or something. Plus, drifiting in the winter a plus.

·
Registered
967 Posts
ummm fwd is better in snow if you are not that great of a driver

rwd is definatley better in snow if you know what your doing and its alot more fun than fwd

and AWD is much better

and four wheel drive is much bettererer

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
awd and 4wd = the same thing

awd=All wheel drive, the last time i checked cars generally have 4 wheels

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
WRX STi or an Evo

·
Dont Steal My Avvy
329 Posts
thepunkdrummer said:
Depends. I know I may sound crazy for saying this, but I'd rather drive my old cougar than a friends grand am gt in snow. I was driving home one night and I had the grand am and as usual these godforsaken county roads aren't marked w/turn signs, and I about put her in a few ditches. The car just wanted to go straight and not turn at all. If I screw up in the cougar I can control it easily if I make a mistake or something. Plus, drifiting in the winter a plus.

grand am's suck in snow. one night my friend was coming to my house and he was trying to get up my hill but ended up killing his car then we had to push his car all the way across the road up a little hill and into a snowbank we thought that a plow truck would come hit it

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
2 legit said:
awd and 4wd = the same thing

awd=All wheel drive, the last time i checked cars generally have 4 wheels
actually no, you are wrong my friend, awd and 4wd are not the same thing

in awd, power is transfered to the wheels that have more traction, like in subaru, when you go over a patch of ice on your front passenger side wheel, the power will be diverted to the driver side.

in 4wd, all the wheels are evenly distributed with power 25/25/25/25. even if you go over a patch of ice, those wheels will keep being distributed with the same power, no power is transfered to anywhere.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
RunningRioT said:
actually no, you are wrong my friend, awd and 4wd are not the same thing

in awd, power is transfered to the wheels that have more traction, like in subaru, when you go over a patch of ice on your front passenger side wheel, the power will be diverted to the driver side.

in 4wd, all the wheels are evenly distributed with power 25/25/25/25. even if you go over a patch of ice, those wheels will keep being distributed with the same power, no power is transfered to anywhere.
I guess I learned something new. Do they make any AWD trucks? If they do then what names?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts