·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, 73, kills robber holding shears to wife's neck
By BILL BRYAN
Post-Dispatch
11/19/2003

A man in north St. Louis County was home watching "Death Wish," a movie about a vigilante who hunts down criminals, when he saw his wife held hostage by a robber holding shears at her neck.

Allowed to get his wallet, the homeowner retrieved his pistol instead and shot the intruder to death, county police said Wednesday after sorting out details of the previous evening's incident.

It happened about 8 p.m. Tuesday in the 11500 block of Lares Drive, a usually quiet neighborhood just east of New Halls Ferry Road and north of Interstate 270.

The residents asked police not to reveal their names. The man and family members declined interview requests.

Police gave this account:

An intruder, 26, broke into the home through a basement window and tore down a curtain to tie over his face as a mask. The woman encountered him in the basement and he forced her up the stairs to confront her husband.

Police said the husband, 73, was watching the movie on TV when the stranger approached, demanding money and holding 4-inch shears to the throat of the woman, also 73.

The homeowner told the intruder he had to get his wallet from the bedroom, but he got a handgun instead. When he emerged, she pulled away and he opened fire.

The robber grabbed the wife again and pulled her through the front door with him, but then let her go and ran. He collapsed across the street, where he was pronounced dead.

The woman was treated for minor injuries at a hospital and released.

The dead robber was identified through fingerprints, but his name was withheld pending notification of relatives.

Privately, police officers praised the outcome, saying that burglars should take a lesson from it.

County detectives said they believed the dead burglar might be responsible for other home invasions and burglaries.

Earl Garvin, a neighbor, said he had known the homeowner for 30 years. "He's such a nice man. He's a very fine guy."

Link to story

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
A reason gun control is stupid, that proves how guns legally purchased by ordinary people are for protection, and taking away the right to protection would end up causing more deaths.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
old people are bad ass. there was this guy at a shooting range yellin at someone then drew a sad face on his target and shot it like 20 times in the head.

·
Gone Forever
1,547 Posts
Thats what you get for messing with a mad WWII vet, I guess. Robber should have known that if he was capable of killing hundreds of germans, he sure as hell could have killed an idiot with a bedsheet over his head.

·
Gone Forever
1,547 Posts
Krayzie said:
lol...to all my counter-strike buddies...i say the old guy sucks for not getting a one shot kill ;0
I think there is a difference between clicking a mouse, and actually killing a human being...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
That robber is damn stupid, he let the guy go up to his room alone and get something, IT'S AN OLD GUY FOR CHRIST SAKE HE'S BOUND TO HAVE A GUN. Geeze. But I give that old guy 2 thumbs up for wasting the burgler.

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
Tedrzz said:
Thats what you get for messing with a mad WWII vet, I guess. Robber should have known that if he was capable of killing hundreds of germans, he sure as hell could have killed an idiot with a bedsheet over his head.
Word :D

That burgular was an idiot for choosing to try and rob someone in the first place. He's got no pity from me, considering he put himself in that position. If he's robbing someone, then whatever comes his way is well-deserved.

Two thumbs up for the old guy! thumup: thumup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts