Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i heve played some light paintball for a couple years and want to go to a big scenario game this year...what would be a good gun to start with? some i have looked at include tippmann a5, x7 and a couple BT guns...don't know what to get need help

·
Registered
17 Posts
The BT guns are a little too bulky (my opinion) and the X7 is in my opinion too real action (i mean like dday games or a whole day in the field but do watever you want

·
Registered
21 Posts
it depnds on the position u want. like if u want to be an assault/ crazy dudes that runs in with a full auto and sprays and prays, a sniper, a position holder, or a regular player. for crazy full auto i would get an auto cocker or the a-5 a2. everything else, get the 98 or a5 and trick it later

·
Registered
70 Posts
Woodsballer 7357 is right, depends on what position you want to have. If you want to stay back and snipe, get a regular semi-automatic marker and get a decent barrel (I recommend staying away from Flatlines and Apex unless you try it and like it). If you want to be an an infantryman or commando or sent out on special missions that regular lots of close quarter fast paced stuff, get a marker that's automatic or can at least ramp and keep the barrel somewhat short (10"-12"). Duck and cover/ spray and pray doesn't work with a huge barrel as well as a shorter one. Or if you're new and are going to be a "just whatever" on the field, get a regular semi-auto like a Tippman or BT and upgrade it as you see fit. You really don't know what you want/ need until you get on the field and find out yourself, so make sure whatever you get you can upgrade later. Be as versatile as possible, don't limit yourself.
For scenario ball, you want a marker that'll hold up both in a firefight and that will survive the wear and tear of the field. There's no one stopping you from getting a speedball gun for scenario ball, it's just I personally wouldn't take an Ion or a Slayer out on the field unless there were inflatable bunkers and flat ground. Not that those markers aren't good, they're just not as durable as Tippmanns. You can shoot Tippmanns underwater and run them over with cars and they'll still shoot. I once used the front grip of my 98 to hook around a tree so I could pull myself up a hill, and I weigh considerably more than most people do. If that little piece of plastic could support my fat ass, then I know the rest of that marker can go to hell and back before breaking.
BT guns are really almost identical to Tippmanns, in fact, BT stands for "Ben Tippmann," who started BT after he sold his original company. The BT-4 and all its variants are very very similar in design to the 98 Custom, they just have a bunch of added features and BT decides to call each one something different. Basically whatever BT gun you buy, its essentially the same marker with a ton of add ons, such as stocks, Apex barrels, shrouds, various trigger upgrades, even bipods for propping the marker up like a mounted machine gun. BT markers are scenarioballers' dream, as most of them you can get in digital camo instead of standard black and they look and somewhat feel like real military weapons. After all, that's what scenarioball is all about.
But if you are just looking for a good cheap marker to start off with, I have to agree with Woodsballer again, just a regular Tippmann 98 Custom or A5 and upgrade it later. But if you plan on upgrading, I suggest you go ahead and look at what BT has to offer, because a lot of their markers come already upgraded with things like E-triggers and the like, there's a whole lot to choose from and generally speaking, getting a marker that's already got upgrades out of the box saves you money down the road because then you're not buying each upgrade separately and paying tax and/or shipping.
Have fun!

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
A-5's and the 98c use the same internals, yet the A-5 is so much bigger, bolkier, and heavier.

If you must, get the 98c, the cyclone, whatever, and in the end, you have a lighter, smaller, tighter, more manuverable gun what works the same as an A-5

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's cool and very good to know. Now I don't feel so bad about having a 98.
I guess the A5 and X7 are more geared towards milsim guys who want a realistic looking marker, hence the low profile hoppers and the different grips/ magazines, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
what role do you want to generally play? do you like to get in the action or stay a little farther back?

but yea the A5 and X7 are nice guns but most of their upgrades are more for the looks; the 98c, you can put a better hopper on it, the flatline is generally better (if you want one); A5 and X7 generally an Apex is better but it wears out due to having a rubber inside; i actually saw a guy using the smart parts SP-1 today; its very light and compact compared to the bulky and heavy ( compared to other markers) tippmans

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't forget tournament grade markers. You can play with a light, fast-shooting tourny marker in the woods, but you can't play (well) with a bulky slow firing woodsball marker on the speedball field.
On big games you'll be glad of a light gun, so why go for a Tippmann? Get an SLG or PMR.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Id suggest the BT-4 delta (NOT elite) its great. The perfect scenario marker. Shoots perfectly. If you want to pgrade it I recommend the bt rip clip and bt electronic triggr frame available from most proshops (Britain and USA)

·
Administrator
14,083 Posts
camladd- you may want to look at the date of the last post before you post something yourself, this thred has seen no action for almost two months now. generally speaking, that means its dead, and we dont like to resurect our dead threds, they sometimes come back as zombies and try to eat your face........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.