Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 93 s10 blazer with the 4.3

well lately it has been acting up on me its getting hard to start and is idling rough

well i figured it was just time for a tune up so i did a tune up on it plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor, cleaned my k&n filter, shanged the oil and filter, changed the fuel filter, added a can of sea foam to the gas, and i put lucas oil stabilizer in my oil

and all this made no differance except that it did run a little smoother

any ideas what could be the problem?

·
PbF Supporter
4,738 Posts
I have a 94 Jimmy with he same engine. It starts fine, but idles rough also. I haven’t been able to figure it out. Looking around the net at various car forums, it seams these engines are notorious for it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What do you consider starting hard? I have a '92 1500 with the 4.3 and mine turns over two or three times before starting, but other than that its fine. I know that on mine the battery is a tad bit low, so I always assumed that that was what was causing it. Hmm, maybe ill talk to my dad's friend later. He's a mechanic, he might know.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I should probably replace mine then, considering we havent replaced any parts on my truck and it has 228k on it.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
u can test a coil pack, theres a test procedure for evry coil pack, and each one might be different, but all u need is instructions and a voltmeter.

IAC isnt the TPS, its the idle air control, it basically bypasses the throttle body, its like, a second path for the air to get into the engine while sneaking around the butterfly. If it gets stuck, it will idle rough. You might as well check that, just unbolted it soak it in gas for a hour or so, then spray some wd40 in it, and make sure it moves, might as well not like it costs anything.

when im trying to find out why an engine is running rough, i have to determine whether its just 1 lame cylinder, or they all suck. Your into stereos and wiring so im sure u have a test light. Just hook one end of the test light to a ground, then poke the boots of a plug wire, one by one, when u do, it should kill a cylinder and make the engine run rough, BUT if u do it to a cylinder and nothing happens, bingo u got a dead cylinder

·
Registered
211 Posts
Check the IAC to see if it's sticking, and clean your Mass Air Flow sensor. I noticed quite a difference in idle and overall performance of my engine when I cleaned my MAF. I used some kind of electrical contact cleaner to do it, talk to someone at AutoZone or something for the right stuff.

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
PAT McCORMICK said:
u can test a coil pack, theres a test procedure for evry coil pack, and each one might be different, but all u need is instructions and a voltmeter.

IAC isnt the TPS, its the idle air control, it basically bypasses the throttle body, its like, a second path for the air to get into the engine while sneaking around the butterfly. If it gets stuck, it will idle rough. You might as well check that, just unbolted it soak it in gas for a hour or so, then spray some wd40 in it, and make sure it moves, might as well not like it costs anything.

you could clean carb parts like that but i dont know if youd want to clean throttle body parts like that. you can destroy sensors using harsh chemicals like gasoline or carb cleaner...id say just buy a new one, theyre not expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts