Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got this mid 80's RX-7 that i got off one of my jobs (theres a thread somewhere) but yeah i want to start messing with it but i dont have a key for it and i dont want to put the money out on a new ignition or having a key made for it so i want to wire up a push button start but i have no clue how

so if someone could kinda help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated thumup:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
step 1, u need to find a wiring harness,

well, its not as easy as it used to be, cause back in the day all u needed was power to the ignition, and power to the starter, but now u got the fuel pump, computer, butt load of sensors, bad stuff

so, u need to get into the wiring harness, figure out what wires go the the ignition switch, and run them to your own switch.

o wait, im getting ahead of myelf here, does the ignition sitch work at all? does it send power to the stereo or anything? or is it completely dead?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
ok, well the ignition switch has like 3 switches in it. The switch when u turn it back to ACC, then when u turn the key to ON (which is the same thing as ACC but power is sent to the fuel pump/injectors and other parts of the engine) and of course START.

you'll need 3 switches, idk how many wires would run to each switch, depends on the car. U really need to get a wiring diagram and study it, if u want u could scan ur diagram around the ignition switch area and send it to me, and i'll help u figure it out

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
http://bulldogsecurity.com/New Wires/New Wires/Wires/mazrx-782-85.htm

ok going by that i could get a toggle switch with a momentary on and hook ignition 1 & 2 and 12v constant and it should start ???

EDIT:

or would i need a seperate toggle and a push button

IGN 1 & 12v on the toggle

IGN 2 & 12v on the push button

???

NOTE:

IGN 2 and the starter have the same wire colors so i am assuming they are the same wire i could be wrong

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
the push button for the starter should only have the purpose for turning the starter, therefore should only have one wire (and the ground, duh).

heres what u need.

1. toggle switch, labeled ignition, run the top 4 wires that are on your wiring chart (and a ground) to that.

2. starter button, run your starter wire and a ground wire to that

and you should be in business

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
wait, i just thought of 2 problems..

#1, if its automatic, u need the key to get it out of park
#2, u need the key to unlock the steering wheel

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
All in all, just order a new ignition switch off ebay or get one at a junkyard. When I had my Jeep, you could start the car without a key. I ordered a new one on ebay for $10 + shipping.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i know the steering wheel will still be locked and i am just doing this to see if the thing is even gonna be worth the time and money of getting a new ignition

if it looks promising i will get a new ignition

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Go find a good locksmith and either take the car to him or bring him to the car. If you find one that knows how to impression a key or can look the key code up in his computer, he will make you a new key no problem. Just take the title or something to prove you own the car.

·
Allen
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i want to see if its gonna run before i spend that kinda money on it :) cause it would suck ass to spend the money on getting a key or new ignition to find out that the motor is junk

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
With an RX7 you automatically assume the motor is junk and sometimes you get a pleasant surprise. ;)

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
It's true though. The motors weren’t that reliable to begin with and often the cars were beat on. The twin turbo RX7 my uncle had was a great car, but even though he never really beat on it the car still had its share of problems. Really, that's to be expected with a rotary engine though. It hasn't had anywhere near the amount of time spent in engineering that the piston engine has had to "perfect" it. It's relatively new technology.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts