1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
what color is he debating on?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
porches have always been up there in my fav brand of foreign cars.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RB27? Is that a bored RB26?
Yup. It was originally an RB26DETT, then it was rebuilt from the ground up. Now it's an RB27DET.:D

what color is he debating on?
He isn't sure yet. He was thinking either a candy green (like the Chip Foose Hemisfear) or a candy red/blue, but he hasn't decided yet. He originally wanted to do a flat black, but it's near impossible to get a flat black car on magazine covers. That's the last thing to decide though. The car has to be drivable first.:)

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
He originally wanted to do a flat black, but it's near impossible to get a flat black car on magazine covers. That's the last thing to decide though. The car has to be drivable first.:)
After seeing this car on the Nation, I definitely vote he should do it flat black:

-Jin

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
Flat black would look terrible with gold rims though. You need gunmetal or color-matched rims to pull off flat black. I say go for a candy blue similar to the blue on some of the engine parts. I had a question though......can you polish or chrome the housng of the turbo? Seems liek a waste to have a matte gray turbo sitting next to a pretty polished engine.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flat black would look terrible with gold rims though. You need gunmetal or color-matched rims to pull off flat black. I say go for a candy blue similar to the blue on some of the engine parts. I had a question though......can you polish or chrome the housng of the turbo? Seems liek a waste to have a matte gray turbo sitting next to a pretty polished engine.
Unfortunately, not really. The front of the housing is cast aluminum and the back is cast iron, neither of which take to polishing or coating well. It doesn't look too bad though, the front matches the aluminum intercooler piping and the back somewhat matches the 4" black steel exhaust.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holy huge turbo... what the hell, beats the **** out of my friends old m3 and my current one. What's the WHP going to be, approx?
On paper the engine can handle almost 1,300 crank hp. However, he wont know what the engine likes until he tunes it. From what we've talked about he wants to do two tunes. One for race gas that will see what the engine can do safely (for when he runs it at the drag strip) and another tune with less power for use on the street, drift track, ect. If he keeps it at 800+ hp all the time there would be no way he could drive it around, he wouldn't get any grip on the street. Even N/A that engine makes over 400hp. In a RWD car that probably doesn't even weigh 3000lbs that's enough to get it squirrelly, never mind the addition of another 400+ hp.:D

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
400 whp (500 engine rating) is ideal for street driving in my opinion. Enough to kick almost any cars ass, and in the hands of an experienced and good driver enough to have a lot of fun with and still control. However, 800 is rediculous, i can't even imagine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That car will be pretty sweet when you are done with it, i was going to do that same swap on my coupe and then lost interest, sold the car and now regret it because they are actually really nice cars to drive everyday even with the stock KA motor, not to mention the simple and effective SR20 swap.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The pipe of the compressor outlet on the turbo seems to be at an awfully sharp angle, or is it just the picture?
It's pretty sharp, but it shouldn't hurt it any. If it does, it's easy to change. Right now, being mock up, they just want to make sure everything fits correctly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts