Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this thread, I'm looking basically for personal attests to the use of certain Graphics cards. The two main cards I'm fighting myself over is the GForce FX5900, and the Radeon 9800..

I'm wondering what those out there have to say about these cards, not only in terms of Fill Rate, and Polygons per second etc, but their personal use of the card, and how they've preformed after putting them through their paces, as I thoroughly plan to do in the future.

Thanks very much, and also: Serious posts only, please.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Well, my friend has a 5900 and I had a 9800. Mine never had problems. His did. Not only did he get 20fps in Half-Life mods, but he got lots of pixellation, and this is on 3 different cards after RMA'ing them. I on the other hand got great framerates in everything I played, and never had any problems.

Also, if you're going to play HL2 go with ATi. The GeForce fx lines get terrible FPS on HL2. I think when the Radeon 9600 got 40fps, the 5900ultra was getting 15.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Get a Radeon. The new Nvidia cards just swallow too much electricity, they´ve got 2 12V power connectors on the boards. I wonder why ATI only needs one connector....Oh, I know: they´re better.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you get an nivdia you might have to get a new powersource. I would get an nvidia thats what i have and my friend has a radeon and has problems running some games(call of duty, Unreal turnament)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Get the 9800 pro, Thats what im running along with a oced 2500+ thats oced to 3200+ speeds. 512mb of duel channel pc3200, Nforce 2 mobo.

Get the 9800 make sure its the xt or pro. It out performs the 5900 fx by alot. Goto tomshardware.com and look for the benchies for them or hardocp.com

Image quality is alot better, its just overall faster.
Nvidia cheats using their driver, so if you enable triliner filtering, it will set it down to biliner in the graphic options. They cheat just to perform better but the ATI still wins hands down.

·
© 2006
1,831 Posts
uh, get the 9800, i asked my friend this just the other day, because i plan on getting anew one myself. The 9800 is better according to him, and he is a MAJOR computer guy, i mean HUGE computer guy he knows everything. He says the 9800 is better because of something i forget, but ill post the detail later, but thats also why he says microsoft is working wtih ATI for the new Xbox or something, ill ask him and post it later when i get it all straight.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent info guys, thanks very much.

Also, has anyone happened to had a problem with frying their power supply (under 500 watts supposedly?).
A review I read stated his card finally melted after 6 months of having a floor fan literally blowing on the thing to cool it.

·
Banned
1,346 Posts
I have a radeon 9800 pro...you honestly need a fast as hell CPU to get the full amoutn of juice out of that card...its so good. I have a AMD 2800 CPU (soon to be 3200) and the CPU is slowing the card down...and dont get me wrong..the 2800 is not a SUPER FAST CPU...buts its definatly not slow.

If your gonna get a high end card like the 9800...make sure you have a good CPU...or plan on upgrading in the future...such as a AMD 3000 or above...or a Intel 2.8 Ghz or above

·
Registered
250 Posts
i have the 5950. Havent had a single lockup due to GFX card

Current Setup

-Nforce 2 mobo
-Athlon XP 2500 (AQXEA stepping) running 460 FSB at 2.7 ghz (stock is -333mhz fsb)
-1 gig Samsung Dual channel @ 460bus
-Asus Geforce FX 5950

Im only running a 450 watt PSU and never had it crap out. Never been a big fan of ATI.

·
That's Hot
3,914 Posts
Get the GeForce, their graphic chipsets are the industry standard and, just like Intel CPUs, are bombproof.

I've never liked Radeon, to me they always seem to be a step behind nVidia. Figures, I have a GeForce MX 4000 in my comp (it's the most powerful my PC can handle without committing suicide).

I'll ask my friend about your power supply question, the kid is a freakin genius and would know more about it than I do.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would suggest the GForce FX 5900.

·
Banned
1,346 Posts
ur right duo...u dont know much...cuz ATI blows nvidia out of the water...

You just killed your creditability when u said that nvidia is always a step ahead over ati...right there you are SO WRONG. Have you even heard of any of the radeon XTs....or even the new XT series?

They are so powerful they arnt even suggested for normal computer users...rather they are made for computer gaming developers.

The radeon 9800 pro 256 mb version is about the exact same as the best nvidia card...um..but then u still got the Radeon 9800 XT...and then the Radeon X800 XT...

if u have read ANY computing mags you would kno...

Radeon Pwns nvidia

·
© 2006
1,831 Posts
whatever you do i recommend buying one soon, as soon as HL2, Doom3 and the other major games come out, people are going to be buying the cards much more, so prices will probably go up aswell..

I would buy a Radeon personally, they are in my opinion better.

·
Registered
329 Posts
X800 xt*drool* Goto HARDOCP and Tomshardware The radeon blows nvidia outta the water. Hear me out, ive looked at all the best when i built my comp, and to tell you the 9800 pro is better. The Graphics are smoother and just look better. The 5900 also thakes up 2 slots. Cuz it has to have that big gigantic heatsink and fan. Goto Amdforums.com and click on the Graphic forum. and READ.

·
Banned
348 Posts
ok look, computers are my second life.. so here it is.

5900 is not near as good at the Radeon 9800. There are also different versions of both cards such as the 9800 XT or the 5900 ultra. Make sure you get something like that. I suggest getting the Nvidia 5950 ultra. Its closer to the 9800 and Nvidia runs better on games without as many problems. Games always have some type of problem with Radeon cards...

·
Banned
348 Posts
Flatliner105 said:
ur right duo...u dont know much...cuz ATI blows nvidia out of the water...

You just killed your creditability when u said that nvidia is always a step ahead over ati...right there you are SO WRONG. Have you even heard of any of the radeon XTs....or even the new XT series?

They are so powerful they arnt even suggested for normal computer users...rather they are made for computer gaming developers.

The radeon 9800 pro 256 mb version is about the exact same as the best nvidia card...um..but then u still got the Radeon 9800 XT...and then the Radeon X800 XT...

if u have read ANY computing mags you would kno...
Wow!!! Guess you havent heard of the Nvidia 6800 ultra. It owns any Radeon Card

1 - 20 of 38 Posts