Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got into paintball by having a friend of mine take me to a local woodsball course. I had more fun than I've ever had in a long time, and since then, I've become addicted and have gone every other weekend to that same course (I go when I get my paychecks).

I bought a Tippmann 98 Custom off of that same dude as a starter gun for a hundred bucks. It's a good gun and all, but I don't really like it. I want an Ion and that's what I plan to get...

But here's a few questions...

Do they all use compressed air? What is the difference? Why is it so expensive?

Which Ion should I get XE or the standard, I was a colored white one.

Is the stock trigger good enough, or do I need to upgrade? Should I go with a new barrel for woodsball and speedball? Maybe a 12 inch or 14 inch?

Do I need a HALO hopper for the ION?

Thanks a lot, I am just a bit confused and couldn't find info anywhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't really know which Ion to get, but barrels are normally a needed upgrade. And since you play woodsball as well as speedball, I would have to say go for a 14". All Ions run on compressed air and N2 but not CO2. And you don't need a Halo, but a higher-end hopper would work well. You don't want to be able to outshoot your hopper. I don't really know about the trigger, either.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Yes, thay MUST use HPA or anti-siphoned CO2 OR a vertical CO2 setup on a remote

Ion XE will make your life a WHOLE lot easier, and you might break a standard Ion, since they are a bit difficult to get into

Stock trigger is fine, but if you do get an aftermarket trigger, CP triggers are regarded as the best

No, any hopper will work, your Ion will have "eyes", so chopping will almost be zero. On the same note, a good hopper is not a bad idea, HALO, VLocity, Torque, and such will all be good. In the "New Player" section, one of the stickies is the "Ultimate Gear Thread" and has all the hopper info you will ever need

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't really know which Ion to get, but barrels are normally a needed upgrade. And since you play woodsball as well as speedball, I would have to say go for a 14". All Ions run on compressed air and N2 but not CO2. And you don't need a Halo, but a higher-end hopper would work well. You don't want to be able to outshoot your hopper. I don't really know about the trigger, either.
The stock Ion will come with a hopper, correct? Say I don't have the cash for an expensive HALO hopper right when I buy the gun, what would be a good hopper to use in the mean time.

Oh, and does anyone has ideas for what barrel?
Lapco Bigshot Ion Paintball Barrel - 14 Inch
What do you dudes think of that barrel? Should I go with the expensive Freak barrel, because I really don't wanna shed out 150 for it. What is the size of the Ion's stock barrel, and is it really that terrible?

One more question... I remember seeing this video on YouTube, where this dude has this thing on his ION that let him add all TIppmann stocks to his gun. What is this thing called? It would be nice to have a stock for woodsball, then take it off for speedball.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
the Ion WILL NOT come with a hopper.

I already answered the good hoppers thing

A barrel kit would be ideal. FREAKS are great, but there are others. Empire Revolver, Evil Pipe, J&J Edge, etc. Try and get some kind of barrel kit, it will really save you some trouble.

If no barrel kit, the J&J Ceramic 1-piece is regarded as one of the best 1-piece barrels, and it's under $50

Stocks get in the way, just use the tank as a stock and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's a good compressed air tank, I'm already looking at 400-500 bucks without a 200 dollar tank. Is there a cheap way of getting one? Why are they so expensive?

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
they're expeinsive bucause not many places make them. it's also not exactly cheap to make a tank that can hold 4500psi and take a beating.

Look ont he b/s/t of paintball forums for used tanks. I know we'ver got a 4500psi tank for $100 with a few years left on its hydro testing date in ours rightnow

If you want even cheaper, you can buya metal tank, but they weigh a ton compared to the fiber wrapped tanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts