Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taken from 'Training Soccer Champions' by Anson Dorrance and Tim Nash.

Being Happy

When kids come to college, they come with a wonderful kind of idealism, and trying to be happy is at the top of their list. They have been given their freedom for the first time. And in their ambition to become happy, the typical freshman goes out the first couple nights and gets totally wasted. They are free now, and they think a part of this wonderful freedom is to go out and stretch their limits. They think this is going to make them happy. But they discover quickly that getting drunk every night doesn't make you happy. Basically, it leaves you hung over and empty, and you really don't gain much from that kind of total freedom. There are some hilarious things that occur during those periods. But, ultimately, they don't make you happy, even if every night is filled with riotous laughter. What happens is they discover the things that genuinely satisfy them and make them happy. And the thing that makes you happy - ironically for the people who look for a quick fix - is work.

It's satisfying to work hard at something. It's satisfying to work hard at athletics. It's satisfying to compete and do your best, and those are the things that ultimately come back and give you a depth of feeling and depth of character. The process itself is not always that enjoyable, but at the end of the day, the people how have worked hard feel good about what they've accomplished. There is a satisfaction there that feeds them. There is a difference between fun and happiness. I think the most confused freshmen and sophomores we have believe happiness is stringing together a collection of fun environments. I once read that fun is something you enjoy while it is going on, but things that make you happy are what you appreciate once the event is finished. There are few environments where hard work and connecting personally are as deeply satisfying as in team sports. And if I have done my job properly, I think part of an undergraduate's evolution is they come to that conclusion before they graduate. One thing that athletics does for people is give them that satisfaction before they genuinely understand what's going on.

·
Banged
5,579 Posts
yeah, its all pretty much true

while drinking and partying will make for some fun times, and funny memories, it doesnt make you happy.

I played soccer for the first time in months last week and it truly did make me happy

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I go through withdrawal every time I get an injury from not being active. I go into like a depression and I don't do anything, it sucks balls.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
Amen brotha.

After a rugby game, im so totally spent and every part of my body hurts(literally) and its a great feeling(not physically).

After studying a crapload or writing a tough paper, the accomplishment feels amazing.

Weekends would not be as fun as they are if it isnt in balance with hard work. Thats what makes drinking and debauchery on the weekend so enjoyable is realizing how hard you worked, and now you are unwinding. It definitely takes personal experience to learn that though, cuz like you said all anyone wants to do right away is get as wasted as much as possible.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I played 6 games in a soccer tournament this weekend. Everything is aching, but I can't remember the last time I felt this good. I strained my left achilles and our keeper swung straight through my left ankle on a clearance. I went head on head 3 times and have various hematoma's to show for it. My quads hate me and the soles of my feet will never be the same, but I am more than happy. We went into the tournament as just a bunch of friends looking to play some soccer. We weren't expected to make any impact but by coming together and working as a unit, we held the team that ended up winning to a 0-0 draw in the round robin. We lost to the second place team in penalty kicks after overtime ( I scored the tieing goal with 3 minutes left :). Just knowing what we accomplished when nobody thought we could feels great.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm a freak. I feel bad when I work hard then lose. If I work for hours upon hours, training every day for weeks, then lose, I get depressed. Luckily, I get back up, but there are very few worse feelings than being eliminated in the first set of rounds in a tournament. Especially when you know that the stupid punk missed with that axe kick and the judges just liked him because he's asian. I'll show him...

Besides that, it's very inspiring.

·
don't drop the soap
3,895 Posts
For me I disagree. I don't get wasted at college, and I'm never happy. And I hate going to work, HATE it. But that's just me.

I do agree on the fun is the now thing. I wouldn't say happy is looking back at something, but i would say being satisfied is.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with it. I love to work hard at stuff.

Thats part of the reason I love riding my bike so much. It kicks so much ass when you nail that drop that has been killing you for a month, or the first time I rode a teeter-totter on my new dirtjump bike...

good times...

·
baller for life
1,231 Posts
Any true competitor knows the satisfaction of hard work. There is nothing better than completing a workout from hell whether it be for football, basketball, a weightlifting session, etc. Coming out on top of a hard fought game of any sport is also almost pure ecstasy knowing that your hard work paid off. I know some people dont really agree with that at all but all the people i know who are truly competitive agree with me 100%.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts