Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a couple days ago, my harddrive crashed on my computer. I can't get to anything on my computer. So I just had ordered another harddrive. The only thing is that I lost all of my documents and my music(about 2,000 songs). Does anybody know how to get the info from my dead harddrive and get it to my new one? Or is it all lost?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Usually the only way data is lost is if it's overwritten, degaussed, or destroyed.

It is possible to get your files off of it, but I doubt you have the equipment necessary. I'm not really an expert in this area. I know how to get (some) files after they've been deleted, but if the drive isn't working I have no clue on how to access them.

-Jin

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
try using Knoppix (Live Linux CD) to access it. Just put the cd in and restart your computer, it'll load and you should see an icon for your hard drive on the desktop (hda0 or something) on the desktop. Double click it and it'll attempt to mount it and access it. Then just move stuff to a flash drive through that.

Also, if you're really desperate, you could try the sticking it in the freezer inside a ziplock bag method. Leave it for an hour and then very quickly stick it back in your computer and attempt to access it. I've heard of this method working to revive a hard drive for a short period of time, however, was not successful in my own attempts at it (then again, I was in a hurry and only left it in the freezer for 20 mins). But the way I see it, if you're just going to trash the drive anyways, you might as well try anything and everything to get information off of it first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts