Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, i've filled my 250 gig almost and plan to buy a 2nd drive. But I don't know what drive type my computer supports. How can I tell if it's IDE (and which type?) or SATA??

Also, I already do have the connectors for both drives, it came with them on the computer already.

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
It's true, you want a SATA drive. Make sure you're compatible with it, and be sure to choose a drive with a spindle speed of at least 7,200 or 10,000 if possible. The higher the spindle speed the faster your data can be accessed (Which is pretty fast on SATA). Also, I'd recommend a Western Digital. Out of all the failed drives I've ever seen, less than one eighth even I'd say were Western Digitals, very low failure rate.

You can identify your drives interface by looking at what kind of plug goes from the drive to your board: Is it a flat, wide ribbon or a very small plastic, most likely red cable type connection?

Ribbon - IDE
Cable - Sata

Google image search for the difference.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Get SATA II / 3.0GB/s / 300 (depends on the place...many list as 3.0GB/s) if you can. I'm am incredibly impressed with how fast my hard drive is. One of these days I might spring for a 10,000RPM drive, but for now my 7200 is keeping me happy.

It's always nice when I'm playing a game and I'm in the first couple people loaded up to the map :D.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like i've got a sata cable and the power connector has a split for the 2nd drive. So i'll just order another sata cable.

Thanks for the brand tip lowtryx.

What's a good cache size? Obviously bigger is better but what can I live w/ happily, 8mb?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
TonyD said:
I might spring for a 10,000RPM drive, but for now my 7200 is keeping me happy.
they are so fun :) loads windows quick as hell, as well as other things.

8mb cache is good, some people claim to see a small difference with the 16 but meh, i really wouldnt worry about it too much.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Lowtryx said:
It's true, you want a SATA drive. Make sure you're compatible with it, and be sure to choose a drive with a spindle speed of at least 7,200 or 10,000 if possible. The higher the spindle speed the faster your data can be accessed (Which is pretty fast on SATA). Also, I'd recommend a Western Digital. Out of all the failed drives I've ever seen, less than one eighth even I'd say were Western Digitals, very low failure rate.
so how many have been maxtor?

·
V8 Interceptor
2,125 Posts
Charger said:
so how many have been maxtor?
More than you'd probably want to know. The biggest fail rates I could clearly see were Maxtors and Hitachi's...
Terrible.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Lowtryx said:
More than you'd probably want to know. The biggest fail rates I could clearly see were Maxtors and Hitachi's...
Terrible.
=( =( =( =( :eek: :mad: maxtor is the brand of most of my hrad drives yet i have never had one fail. i have only had one hard drive fail on me and that was an old caviar 34000 4000.7 mb drive and that was a western digital

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I had one drive fail so far, ever. It was my first computer I put together myself. It was a Western Digital. lol.

The WD hardrive broke inside of a month of using it. My mother was really quick with the "I told you to just let us get a normal computer" line. Turns out the series of drive I used was recalled because they were faulty. I sent it to WDC in and and they sent me an updated one.

On a side note I have two WD drives in my current computer. No problems so far. They're a few years old.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Yeah...I've heard a lot of people say bad things about WD, but decided to go with them anyways. So far I've got no complaints.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Ive had 3 maxtor 80 gig hard drives go bad on me throughout my house. Thats because Dell provides them. I have had my one 250 gig western digital SATA hard drive for a pretty long time, and no problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts