Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so maybe someone can help me make sense of this, my primary boot drive, C drive, has a total of 518g taken up right now, the drive i use for a backup is also a 1tb drive and once the backup hit it this morning it only has 75gb of free space, so how is 518g turning into about 800g when my computer backs it up? furthermore, when I go into the backup utility the "backup size" is listed as 616g, so even if it is making a direct copy of my C drive (which it shouldnt be) how is the backup taking up this much space? what am i doing wrong here?

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt look like it, I formatted the hard drive a few days ago so last night was the first backup to hit it.

here is what it is listing for the space it is using

Data file backup = 309g
system image = 377g
other files = 169g
free space = 75g
total size = 931g

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
What are you wanting to back up? I have my music, photos, and documents all stored in 2 extra places. Anything else I can just reinstall, but maybe you're working with more than that, I don't know.

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are you wanting to back up? I have my music, photos, and documents all stored in 2 extra places. Anything else I can just reinstall, but maybe you're working with more than that, I don't know.
photos mostly i have a lot of stuff i need to save between raw files, photoshop edits and output files

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
That stuff is pretty easy to backup, just find where they are stored and combine them to one folder, or transfer each folder separately. Backup programs that come with external drives are bulky and copy a bunch of useless stuff.

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes. And it's easier just to link you to instructions than to try to explain it. Note the most important part of this is that the drive must have NO VOLUMES on it when you set this up, so you'll have to use the disk manager to delete existing partitions.

Use Drive Mirroring for Instant Backup in Windows 7
well, this only works with some of the more expensive windows 7 platforms, i just have the home premium edition

I had a free program a while back that did it for me, I will have to find it again

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
well, this only works with some of the more expensive windows 7 platforms, i just have the home premium edition

I had a free program a while back that did it for me, I will have to find it again
Didn't even realize that HP doens't have it in since all my laptops came with Pro.

·
Administrator
14,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
poor college student and in the amounts of memory i need it would not be free

for the short term i tweeked the windows backup thing so it is not saving as much, it is still about double the data that is actually on the C drive though

1 - 20 of 30 Posts