Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying an 97 calivier. The owner said that year had a head gasket peoblem but that they were reaplaced and are under warantee.

I can't for the life of me figure out if replacing them solves the problemt he car came with, or if it simply masks it until it pops up later.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Do a compression test, that'll tell you right away if you're having headgasket problems. Also check to see if the oil is milky. (Mixed with coolant)

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do a compression test, that'll tell you right away if you're having headgasket problems. Also check to see if the oil is milky. (Mixed with coolant)
after two years, I don't believe it would be having problems. I'm trying to figure out if the failure rate is just as high now as i was when it was made.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
after two years, I don't believe it would be having problems. I'm trying to figure out if the failure rate is just as high now as i was when it was made.
What? You're thinking about buying the car.. you don't know what the seller tells you is true.

What exactly is the car doing?

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
like 1337 said, don't buy what the seller says. You best two lines of defense are to check the oil and to do a compression test.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What? You're thinking about buying the car.. you don't know what the seller tells you is true.

What exactly is the car doing?
he replaced the head gasket 2 years ago. I dunno much about a head gasket, but he said it was a complete job. Before I buy the car, I'm going to get him to show me the receipt so I can verify it. this isn't a dealership either, I can't stand doing business with them unless they're small ones.

I'm asking what the chances are that the problem could pop up again, I didn't see any leaks or anything on the ground where it had been sitting.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
When headgaskets go out, they don't usually leak. What will happen is it could cause the car to overheat, mix oil and coolant, not seal properly, etc.

Owner says it was a complete job? Ask him if he replaced the headbolts and got the head surfaced before putting the new gasket back in. If he says no, then the gasket probably didn't seal correctly and warped the head.

You don't even know what's wrong with the car... I asked you, what exactly is it doing that would suspect everyone to believe it's a bad headgasket? I'd just stay away from it..

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
To actually answer your question... (reading comprehension FTW)

I just did a quick bit of research, and YES, this appears to be a common problem on several years (late 90s) of the Cavalier.

-Jin
****. You asshole! :p

My post has still helpful though. Do a compression test! :tup

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright alright. I'll do a compression test...but how the hell do you do that on a car?

and i've still never had my question answered. The headgasket(s) was(were) replaced fully, will that solve the problem it was built with?

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
and i've still never had my question answered. The headgasket(s) was(were) replaced fully, will that solve the problem it was built with?
Sorry, should have explained my post more.

No, simply replacing the headgasket will NOT fix the problem. The search I did turned up people who had to replace them quite often. A few people had replaced it 4 or 5 times, while another had to replace it a year after getting it done.

-Jin

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
alright alright. I'll do a compression test...but how the hell do you do that on a car?

You buy a compression tester. It will have a hose and a little gauge. Basically all you do is take out all the spark plugs, thread the hose into one of the cylinders, disconnect spark, push the pedal to the floor and crank it until it gives you a reading. It's different on every car, but good compression on my car is 170psi.

·
Administrator
23,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, should have explained my post more.

No, simply replacing the headgasket will NOT fix the problem. The search I did turned up people who had to replace them quite often. A few people had replaced it 4 or 5 times, while another had to replace it a year after getting it done.

-Jin
thanks. that's what I was looking for. That being the case, I'd rather not buy the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts