Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cpu temperature has been running extremely hot (180*F+) which I then promptly turn it off, ideas on why it's running so hot? I'm running the stock heatsink and fan, but it still shouldn't be running this hot.

BTW it's at 2.8ghz p4 not oc'ed or anything.

·
12,110 Posts
Dust or fan failure... Do you have an air compressor?Use that to blow it clean.

Open up your case and take a look at what's going on. I bet your CPU heatsink is either clogged with dust or the fan broke.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Have you by chance taken the heatsink off of the CPU lately? If so, did you reapply thrermal grease? I know you ordered some parts a while ago (but I don't recall what).

Also, what kind of fan setup do you have? If you don't have air going directly to the CPU, you might want to think about getting some kind of duct that sends air directly to it. But even if you are running a few fans, it could just be dust slowing things down and blocking things, like Alpha said.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Good! When you said 180 my eyes got big. I'm kind of surprised you didn't damage anything. I'm glad my hunch was right :tup.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
In linux I use something called "lm-sensors." It does a bad job at correctly guessing voltage, but a good job at estimating temperature (it's always about the same as my BIOs). Under windows there was an nVidia program and an ASUS program included on the disk that came with my motherboard. I tend to use the ASUS one.

I could probably mess with it to configure it correctly, but it's not really a big deal to me.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Under windows there was an nVidia program and an ASUS program included on the disk that came with my motherboard. I tend to use the ASUS one.
I heard those were crap. Someone said they they were using the Asus probe or whatever and it was 9* off. I didnt know this until i read it on a different forum.:shrug:

OP good job fixing it, you should check and clean the inside more often, take pride in your rig and have some fun:tup

Oh and for temp monitoring, intel's TAT (thermal analysis tool) or coretemp. I usually run them at the same time. Also running them concurrent with orthos or any stress testing is good as well.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I don't know...they seem to be relatively accurate for me, but I obviously can't speak for everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts