Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
CoolHipJim56 said:
They stopped putting helium in blimps a long time ago. THe main reason is the flamability (hindenburg). Also, blimps are actually filled at very low pressures. I mean VERY low. If you shot a blimp,it wouldn't do anything. You'd have to put a few baketball sized holes in the bottom of it to do soem damage.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
i wonder if you shot helium instead of air if the paintballs would kinda float in the air or something...

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
i know but it could alter how the paintball is propelled out the marker...

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alpha said:
They stopped putting helium in blimps a long time ago. THe main reason is the flamability (hindenburg). Also, blimps are actually filled at very low pressures. I mean VERY low. If you shot a blimp,it wouldn't do anything. You'd have to put a few baketball sized holes in the bottom of it to do soem damage.
Dont want to be a nit-picker but i do believe u mean hydrogen. not helium. dont want to confuse people.

·
Registered
204 Posts
HuNtS said:
helium is only like 1-200 psi isnt it???
That depends on how much u compress it... ur normal Helium tank will be low... big assed compressor might be able to push that up quite a bit. Remember there is only 1 atom in He and 2 electrons, coz this is add it joins another to form He2 which will be inert(sp?). Therefore 2 atoms which is less than N2... so I would asume that you could get a higher pressure than N2. But you need a compressure and a chamber of pure He, as I dont think that any one will suppy it at high pressure!!

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
I have looked all over for the vapor pressure of liquid helium and the best I can find is that when it vaproizes, you would get less then 250psi -- way less. So if you can get your marker to fire at an input pressure of say 90psi, you could hypothetically use helium. To fill liquid helium, you would have to have a setup just like that for Co2 including the marker tanks. Liquid helium is very expensive...

Just use HPA. It is literally as common as the air we breathe.

·
12,110 Posts
YEa they rarely fill HPA bottles with nitrogen. Air is already 78% nitrogen, so its not like you'll see much of a difference between compressed air and nitrogne. Just a 20% difference.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
CockerRocker15 said:
it could actually work its a stable gas

not sure if it pressurizes as a gas or liquid prolly have to pressureize as liquid bieng it that there wouldnt be as much force behind it as CO2 but there would be alot more helium in 20 oz. let him try it and if it fails he can always make his voice funny and fill ballons.

stable or not gases dont matter.

pressure matters.

co2 tanks are rated around 1500psi or something. co2 fills a lot because its a cold gas and into liquid it goes, lowering the pressure. maybe hell kill himself with doin that, giving paintball more bad publicity.

stupid retarted friend.

·
Banned
183 Posts
has he done it yet?

·
God of Unecessary Surgery
235 Posts
Hobo_Joe said:
That depends on how much u compress it... ur normal Helium tank will be low... big assed compressor might be able to push that up quite a bit. Remember there is only 1 atom in He and 2 electrons, coz this is add it joins another to form He2 which will be inert(sp?). Therefore 2 atoms which is less than N2... so I would asume that you could get a higher pressure than N2. But you need a compressure and a chamber of pure He, as I dont think that any one will suppy it at high pressure!!

What are you talking about?!?!? the size of the gas molecule has absolutely nothing to do with how much gas you can pressurize in a chamber, sure you may have less individual molecules in the tank (assuming the same pressure and internal volume) but 25cubic feet of helium will fire just as many paintballs as 25 cubic feet of argon or nitrogen regardless of how many molecules occupy a given space at a given pressure.

I don't mean to sound like a butthole or anything but you guys really need to take some basic physics classes. I'm sitting no more than 40 feet away from a tank of compressed helium we use for chromatography and the tank is reading 1500 psi and the thing is probably half empty and there is no liquid in the tank!!! The boiling point of liquid Helium is -268.934 ºC, that’s really freaking cold, you would have to compress the crap out of it to get it in a liquid state. "Helium is the most difficult of all gases to liquefy and is impossible to solidify at atmospheric pressure."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES YOU CAN FILL YOUR TANK WITH IT!!! and the only advantage to using helium is that its really expensive compared to air. now stop talking about this, this whole discussion is a waste of time...and its makeing my brain hurt. :sly:

·
0ld Sk00l
3,773 Posts
Ummm.... dude, You can not compress heliem to that extream on a temperature unless ur pumping straight helium into a pball or pball type compressor and pressureizing it. Natually like in those big tanks clowns buy, It's pressurized to around 200 PSI.. The reason is, there is no need for more

also, Helium is VERY expsensive compared to Presserised air and is impractible for pball uses..

Also. Putting a sinle hole in a blimp will defalte the 1 section of the blimp. and trust me, a hole in each section will cause that sucker to hit the ground FAST. b/c the regular air will pull the helium out quickly b/c it's lighter then air.

*Wew... almost done w/ my rant*

Don't fill your CO2 tanks with ne thing else this CO2, I don't care if the connectors look alike. don't do it. ur friends an incohearent Mother ****er.

Stick to CO2 in ur CO2 tanks, and HPA in ur HPA tanks

and... they NEVER EVER EVER fill Pball tanks w/ pure nitrogren. the cause is it's SUPEr expsensive and the only real place u can get it is hosbitals where they take the nitrogran outta the oxygen. and it's VERY pricy. trust me

So... CO2 goes into the CO2 tank. HPA goes into the HPA tank. Please don't start modifying **** and killing urself.

·
235 Posts
hehe...looks like I beat you to the rant...and yes you could just hook up your tank to the 2000psi he tank and pressureize it that way, no need for a compressor, but there is really no point.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
lol you people are crazy... i had no idea my post about my dumb friend would turn into a gue ranting thread... well cmon people lets pick it up!!
*puts feet on desk and grabs some popcorn*

well no, i dont think hes done it yet. he was still in school the other day and i honestly forgot about this thread. Ill ask him tomorow when we go woodsballing!

·
235 Posts
no it wouldn’t make it any lighter because it would be compressed helium not a balloon filled with helium. it may be a bit lighter than the same tank filled with air but you really wouldn’t notice.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Helium would make your tank lighter. If you put it in a 4500psi tank then if you put your gun on a table it would probably just float away. So tie it down with a string or sometihng.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts