41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
God of Unecessary Surgery
235 Posts
:rofl

·
Registered
873 Posts
I so hope you're kidding. ;) An empty tank will always weigh less then a filled one (even with helium) since the tank doesn't expand.

The lightest you could possibly make the tank would be if you suck all the air out creating a perfect vacumn inside, assuming the seals and valves can handle the backwards pressure and that the tank doesn't collapse

Oddly enough if you could make a perfect metal sphere (to help resist collapsing) which is the same weight as a balloon and create a perfect vacumn inside it would shoot into the air quicker then a balloon filled with helium.

sNoW PIrAnHa said:
Helium would make your tank lighter. If you put it in a 4500psi tank then if you put your gun on a table it would probably just float away. So tie it down with a string or sometihng.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They stopped putting helium in blimps a long time ago. THe main reason is the flamability (hindenburg). Also, blimps are actually filled at very low pressures. I mean VERY low. If you shot a blimp,it wouldn't do anything. You'd have to put a few baketball sized holes in the bottom of it to do soem damage.
Um..you mean hydrogen. helium is not flammable. hydrogen is.
BUT-
So far, unless i missed something (feel free to correct me if im wrong) from it's ridiculously cold liquid state, helium has the fastest expansion rate from a liquid to a gas than any other element that we know of, like Co2, n2o, etc. So i would like to see if this would work. Ive got a tank and paintball gun im willing to donate to science

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ummm.... dude, You can not compress heliem to that extream on a temperature unless ur pumping straight helium into a pball or pball type compressor and pressureizing it. Natually like in those big tanks clowns buy, It's pressurized to around 200 PSI.. The reason is, there is no need for more

also, Helium is VERY expsensive compared to Presserised air and is impractible for pball uses..

Also. Putting a sinle hole in a blimp will defalte the 1 section of the blimp. and trust me, a hole in each section will cause that sucker to hit the ground FAST. b/c the regular air will pull the helium out quickly b/c it's lighter then air.

Wew... almost done w/ my rant

Don't fill your CO2 tanks with ne thing else this CO2, I don't care if the connectors look alike. don't do it. ur friends an incohearent Mother ****er.

Stick to CO2 in ur CO2 tanks, and HPA in ur HPA tanks

and... they NEVER EVER EVER fill Pball tanks w/ pure nitrogren. the cause is it's SUPEr expsensive and the only real place u can get it is hosbitals where they take the nitrogran outta the oxygen. and it's VERY pricy. trust me

So... CO2 goes into the CO2 tank. HPA goes into the HPA tank. Please don't start modifying **** and killing urself.
Not as pricey as spelling lessons

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, first things first, my friend is a compltete ignoramouse.
That is all, thank you.

Anyway, he tells me hes gonna take an old 9oz CO2 bottle and somehow get access to a helium fill tank. Now, he says the helium uses the same fill type thingy as the CO2 bottle and wil just fill it up with helium and because its so light he can get a lot in there (his words not mine). I tried to talk him out of the idea 100's of times, but like I said, hes dumb.

So please tell me he wont kill himself or something!
Well, the lightness of the gas will not appreciably impact the weight of the tank nor the cubic feet of volume compressed into the tank. If truth be known, it is difficult to beat the capacity of the number of shots one can make with a tank of liquefied gas, such as CO₂, which is the only practical gas that can be compressed to liquid form at ambient temperatures. If he fills the tank with same pressure of air (which is mostly Nitrogen), Argon, Xenon or Helium, he is still going to get the same number of shots.

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
Well, the lightness of the gas will not appreciably impact the weight of the tank nor the cubic feet of volume compressed into the tank. If truth be known, it is difficult to beat the capacity of the number of shots one can make with a tank of liquefied gas, such as CO₂, which is the only practical gas that can be compressed to liquid form at ambient temperatures. If he fills the tank with same pressure of air (which is mostly Nitrogen), Argon, Xenon or Helium, he is still going to get the same number of shots.
It doesn't work like this. If you put 800psi of air or nitrogen in a co2 tank you are only going to get a few shots before the pressure drops and you can no longer fire.

The reason you get more shots out of co2 is it is stored in a liquid state and boils off to a gas at around 800 psi. If you tried to put in liquid nitrogen the pressure it boils at is much higher. Blowing your burst disk for sure. May even have enough pressure to rupture the tank walls

·
Registered
9 Posts
It doesn't work like this. If you put 800psi of air or nitrogen in a co2 tank you are only going to get a few shots before the pressure drops and you can no longer fire.

The reason you get more shots out of co2 is it is stored in a liquid state and boils off to a gas at around 800 psi. If you tried to put in liquid nitrogen the pressure it boils at is much higher. Blowing your burst disk for sure. May even have enough pressure to rupture the tank walls
Well explained!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ummm.... dude, You can not compress heliem to that extream on a temperature unless ur pumping straight helium into a pball or pball type compressor and pressureizing it. Natually like in those big tanks clowns buy, It's pressurized to around 200 PSI.. The reason is, there is no need for more

also, Helium is VERY expsensive compared to Presserised air and is impractible for pball uses..

Also. Putting a sinle hole in a blimp will defalte the 1 section of the blimp. and trust me, a hole in each section will cause that sucker to hit the ground FAST. b/c the regular air will pull the helium out quickly b/c it's lighter then air.

Wew... almost done w/ my rant

Don't fill your CO2 tanks with ne thing else this CO2, I don't care if the connectors look alike. don't do it. ur friends an incohearent Mother ****er.

Stick to CO2 in ur CO2 tanks, and HPA in ur HPA tanks

and... they NEVER EVER EVER fill Pball tanks w/ pure nitrogren. the cause is it's SUPEr expsensive and the only real place u can get it is hosbitals where they take the nitrogran outta the oxygen. and it's VERY pricy. trust me

So... CO2 goes into the CO2 tank. HPA goes into the HPA tank. Please don't start modifying **** and killing urself.
I so hope you're kidding. ;) An empty tank will always weigh less then a filled one (even with helium) since the tank doesn't expand.

The lightest you could possibly make the tank would be if you suck all the air out creating a perfect vacumn inside, assuming the seals and valves can handle the backwards pressure and that the tank doesn't collapse

Oddly enough if you could make a perfect metal sphere (to help resist collapsing) which is the same weight as a balloon and create a perfect vacumn inside it would shoot into the air quicker then a balloon filled with helium.
Not as pricey as spelling lessons
Dude you are wrong with most of what you said. You can compress helium the same as you can compress oxygen nitrogen, argon...Youre right to stick with co2 in co2 tanks but you could fill HPA tanks with air or nitrogen or helium and you wouldnt know the difference. Nitrogen is not expensive and you can get it at welding supplies not at hospitals.
Blimps are filled with helium, not hydrogen and there is no significant pressure in them. the material they are made of will not stand up to much pressure and there is no need for the extra helium which would actually start to make the blimp heavier.
And you shouldnt even talk about liquid nitrogen or liquid helium when you are just talking about using them in the compressed form. you cant compress either of them enough to turn them into liquid without extreme cooling (like minus 200 to 300 F degrees) and liquid nitrogen if not kept at that super low temp, and sealed in a cylinder with no relief valve will explode from the high pressure liquid nitrogen will reach as it evaporates. similar to a BLEVE, boiling liquid evaporitive vapor explosion.
Funny how some people will publicly speak about something they know nothing about.
And they routinely suck air out of systems, like ac systems to a near perfect vacuum as possible, and they dont float away.
Unbelievable!

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
You do realize you are quoting posts and replying to them from 16 years ago right?

If any of those guys had a kid at the same time they would be in high school and getting their license right now.

Pretty sure they are not waiting on a reply at this point

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
You do realize you are quoting posts and replying to them from 16 years ago right?

If any of those guys had a kid at the same time they would be in high school and getting their license right now.
Actually, new people to the game may not not be aware of useful info that has gone before. And at times info may change over the years so a new answer to an old question may be informative to many. When I started PB, there was nothing but CO₂. The idea of high pressure tanks got laughed at, with statements like "Dude, you are going to kill yourself!"

I started experimenting using a direct feed scuba tank at 2300 psi just cracking the valve to see how much pressure the gun could handle. Lot of safety procedures with heavy wooden crates built around the gun, and yep, I blew up a couple of Tippmanns. I eventually acquired a high pressure output regulator and should have patented the idea, as the light weight wrapped tanks came out just a couple of years later.

·
Administrator
14,015 Posts
Actually, new people to the game may not not be aware of useful info that has gone before. .
In which case they can still find this thread, now granted this one was resurrected in 2019 but bringing back old threads just clutters up the forum.

The last time I was asked about putting different gases in a tank was around 6 years ago.

It's a dead question because everyone runs hpa now

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

41 - 51 of 51 Posts