Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy is selling his 1970 Camaro RS/Z28. Before he puts it on the market he wanted to know if I want. It's yellow with black stripes, 4-spd, with a 350hp/350ci (brand new crate engine). It's doesn't have the original seats and a lot of stuff has been replaced, but I know the car and whats been done since he owned it.

He wants $14,000 from me or he's putting it up for sale for $15,000. It's in pretty good shape, but yellow is not my color, and, to me, $14,000 seems like a lot for a second generation. I know Camaro's are hot right now, but I don't want to buy a car that will go down in value once the muscle car rush wears out.

What do you guys honestly think? If I buy this thing I won't be getting a new truck, atleast not until I'm out of college, and I wont buy the Lincoln Mark from my uncle. I'll just be working on this. I also don't really have the storage space for it, so it might spend some time outside (which I hate doing). But, on the other hand. I'm a sucker for classic cars, especially pony cars, and it would be nice to work on my own car for a change. Plus, it would also be nice to drive down the shore with my buddies who own a '72 Chevelle and '68 Camaro and not hear, "not only do you drive a Ford, but it's not even a classic Ford". :rolleyes:

So, PBF. What do you honestly think? Should I get the Camaro (and does he want too much for it?) or should I tell him to sell it and hold out for a newer better daily driver and buy the Lincoln Mark IV from my uncle?

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
Ehh... 14000 may be high depending on how good it has been worked on and took care of. Looking at some real nice '70 RS/Z28's they go for around 15-25,000. But of course their nice like this one,

and this one..

So I guess if its been restored pretty good the 14,000 would be a fair price. But you could get get a later model for much less. Such as my cousin wants to trade my dad his 96 nissan truck for his '86 z28.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
this is way, way over-priced.

when it comes to muscle cars, orignal cars are worth 15-25k if their not anything special. Like if that camaro had an orignal 402 in it, and was like all-around an 7 out of 10 car, id say yea 14k sounds right.

But a 2nd gen camaro, with a crate engine (im guessing the zz4?) and in so-so condition, probably needs a slight restoration, the car is worth more like 8-10,000. its not considered a classic car, its considered to be a hot rod/muscle car which actually arent worth much unless its done in an effort to clone.

My chevelle in that condition, would be worth 8,000. My chevelle in current condition is like $17,000 because its been properly converted to be an SS. If my car was an orignal SS its worth 40,000$.

But, he will probably get the 15,000 for it, some guy with some extra cash who had a 70 camaro for his first car would pay anything for it

buy the trailblazer

EDIT: look at the price this one went for http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Camaro-Rally-Sport_W0QQitemZ230007405189QQihZ013QQcategoryZ6161QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
That's high for a 2nd gen.. if it was a 1st gen I'd say be all over it, but meh. Save your pennies for something better... like a GTO or something. :)

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toXic said:
So I guess if its been restored pretty good the 14,000 would be a fair price. But you could get get a later model for much less. Such as my cousin wants to trade my dad his 96 nissan truck for his '86 z28.
Who would want an 80's Camaro?

;)

·
startx: command not found
3,991 Posts
my buddy picked up a 74 camaro with a 350 bored to a 406 for a mere $5500. I'll work on finding some pictures of it. It's quite nice.

·
NORTHCOAST HARDCORE
6,318 Posts
14,000 for that is a rip. 1st gen camaros are the only ones i would buy. get the truck

you know what you should buy? a comet. no1 has them and they are pretty nice cars. im definitly looking to find a finished 64/65 that doesnt need much work but its gonna cost a lot of $$$. a guy i work with just bought a 64 automatic, all numbers matching,just needs a new interior and the chrome needs to be redone, for 7k. he had offers for 15k right after he bought it but wants to hang on to the car for a while. he also has a 65 4spd he is building and that thing is sexy

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
1337 said:
Master Of Paint.. :hug:

Na, that generation will forever go down in my book as a disgrace. The only thing that is somewhat desireable is the way they did the taillights in the earlier models.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts