• RC51 honda

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im trying to make up my mind...I doubt Ill listen to anything you guys say but hey why not talk about it anyway.
We are talking about sport bikes.
First off im only looking in Iowa and Minnesota I don't feel like shipping a bike that I can't ride like mad before buying. Im looking in teh 1000 cc area. like a 954 would work too but Im looking pretty much between two bikes. One is a 2002 yamaha 1000 R1 in blue wieghs about 375-385 depending on who you talk to. Would end up getting about stock one bike im looking at has yosh r3 exaust and a nice teknic jacket and hjc helmet about 3 hours away easy ride hom bike

price tag about 7300 I like this bike alot have riden yamahas 6 series and played around with the r1 for a while.

A favorite of mine for a while now. Is the RC51. Nice bike test drove one in the shop but...im not gonna get that one. It had 20XXX miles on it and I can't see spending so much on one with sooo many miles. Im looking at one further up in Minnesota/little canada. Its a 2001 honda rc51 1000r a very fast bike very good looking bike and its a honda so thats a plus for me. The one im looking at is pretty much stock. It has 1600 miles which is great for that bike and would ride for a long time. His price is high right now at 7900 its almost 1000 over the always high kbb value and about 900 over the nada qoute. I gave him a counter offer of around 7000 and seeing its a dealer it will take him a while to figure out how low he can go. Alot of looking right now. Hopefully one of these bikes can be mine before two late in the year.

I have another thread from a while back on the rc51 from the one I test drove...has videos of the bike if youd like to see that too.
thanks for any discussion.
also if anyone knows anything about step up lighting kits for cycles Id love to talk it over with someone...don't know why but I want that stuff pretty bad.

·
Banned
794 Posts
dont get either of those if you do get a r1 make it a 03-04 r1 those things fly. Or get a suzuki gsxr 750 or gsxr 1000. Those things fricken fly. Or if u really have the balls get a suzuki hybusa.

·
Banned
2,855 Posts
The yzf r1 is a slick bike. My buddy had a Yahama for a few years and I've ridden it a few times, it's real nice.
Plus yahmaha customer service is way better then hondas.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Honda. Never liked Yamahas much....snowmobiles at least. Bikes they are actually very nice, I just hate their snowmobiles and it has somewhat carried over into other things as to where I would rather own another brand. Personally I'd look at GSX-R's too. I like those things A LOT, and hell, even look at Ninjas. My neighbor has an R6 though, and it's a very nice bike. Got it for 3500 or 4500 and it's a 2000 in perfect shape.

Of these though I'd go with the Honda.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my uncle owns a honda shop so I get free service on them. The hayabusa is fast...yes but I live in an area with lots of s turns and hairpins and **** and the busas don't handle worth crap...The guy who traded in the 51 that I test drove got a busa and said that the rc51 would out run it just because of the trouble on the turns. They are both hot.

As far as going for a 2004 r1 I don't got unlimited cash. Im trying to keep costs down. Ive always been a fan of the rc51 its as fast as I need and it preforms stock. Plus it can take most bikes around here with exception to the busa on a straight track.
Ive shopped around the gsxrs as well and its rough. a shop in town stocks all suzukis and they have a really nice 2k4 gsxr1000 in silver and its really hot. Id love to get it but its going over 10000 price range and when you add full coverage with insurance which I would need thanks to the fact that its about 5000 over what I have to spend right now I would need a loan. I don't think i can down that much cash in a bike and throw so much around it as well...nice bikes though. Im still pretty open those are just too im really looking close at.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
If you get free service definetely go w/ the Honda. I'm gonna look into getting a bike when I get into/out of college.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
austin said:
Harleys are where it's all at.
yea ok austin. why get a harley there are so many nicer cut down bikes...For example the victory motorcycle plant is just 5 miles down the road from my house....they make some awesome more chopper feel bikes to them...if I ever got one of them I would get a victory not a harley maybe indian but harley is just trendy.
one of the dudes that works at wymer motors the main moto place here has a nice big block back wheel. I don't really like them but If I did I would go for more of that feel.

thats not the point...im not getting a hog or any of that junk so don't sway the convo.

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
My friend's brother just sold his cobra mustang for 11500 and bought a suzuki gsxr 600 for 7500.

Don't get an R1. You've never owned a bike before and those are higher up.

Personally I would get the suzuki 600. If you go Kawasaki get an older ninja cuz the newer ones suck.

Dont know much on Honda but I know they have some good ones out there.

But personally I would def get the gsxr 600.

·
teh car guy
1,292 Posts
1337PAINTBALLER said:

But personally I would def get the gsxr 600.
go with that. You probably won't need 1,000cc's of displacement, and 600 would probably be enough. But, its your decision.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey paid way to much for that gsxr. the 1000 series from suzuki are only 1000. I have been around bikes my entire life. I want a big class bike 900cc+ whats the point of getting a 600 gsxr when the newer 1000 class bikes are just as light and manuverable. take the 2004 yamaha r1 it weighs 379 while the gsxr is only 359 thats not much difference and then compare the power difference its huge. why down grade when you can upgrade?
the yamaha above was sold from under me. Im kinda mad but when that happened my dad said maybe I should be looking new seeing I will need to pay insurance on it anyway and theres no huge pro to getting a used bike. The closest yamaha shop is about 20 minutes out and I work from 8-5 everyday except for weekends. SO either I gotta get out there on a weekend or catch it during a lunch break.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Phantom, our Yamaha customer service here in my town is ass. I took them one of my dirt bike tires, and they wouldn't even talk to us. Our Honda shop kicks ass, tho.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yamaha is good..they are really hot the new ones anyway. I can't afford to right now but hopefully with help I iwll.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts