Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my cousin just moved to chicago from india and he was told to call me for help if he needs anything 0?

so he just started school yesterday and his school just finished the first markin period and hes askin me all these questions and stuff

and he asked me what will be on his high school exam (hes in 8th grade, middle school) and i didnt no wut they were

is anyone familiar with this?? i never had it in 8th grade so i dont know.

he seems like a nice kid but he has an indian accent so thatll stop him from gettin friends. accordin to him he already made a couple friends so im relieved but o well.

help an indian out

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
I think Medic is saying that European education standards are much higher than those of North America. Every transfer student that ever came to my highschool breezed through every class because they learned that **** in junior high. So if the kid is in grade 8, he probably learned everything they would teach him in high school already, meaning he could probably teach (tutor) someone.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MedicDVG said:
If european educational standards run true, he should be able to teach highschool.

the kids smart. but like most FOBs (fresh off the boat, funni term) he is slightly naive. booksmart, but not streetsmart. ya indian schoolin (according to my parents) is a hell of a lot harder than american schooling. he could probably teach math and science. but they r doing american history so he will hav trouble with that. hes fluent in english, but i dont think he can write at a 8th grade level. but you never know, these indian people have them magical powers, never know what they can do...damn indians

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
hes from which side? i wouldnt be makin fun of him if i were you ahole. j/k . im in 8th and we are in teh firsdt trimester, but next week we are having a test in hist. about all the stuff, and my teacher said, the first settlement, 13 colonies, stamp act, quartering act, slave trade, boston massacre, boston tea party, salem witch trials, basically everything weve studied so far. thats all i can think of, o yea and french/indian war between french and english, but indians were on both sides, stuff about sam adams prolly, also depends on how far his class is. if they are ahead/ behind of us.... also, we saw first 2 volumes of roots in class so far( i read teh book) so the slave trade in our test MaY go a little in depth... all about how the colonies came together....

·
Registered
649 Posts
yeah thats where most dumb kids go.

Also like said above I wouldnt make fun of someone who might be ur future boss.

We all know american education sucks. Hell I did a years worth of work in 2 weeks. (senior year)

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
I KNOW WHAT IT IS! Its a placement test. I had to take one when i went to high school. It helps the school decide which courses to put u in. At my school we have Honors, A, and B (lowest) track classes.

AT least i think so, now that i've typed this i ain't so sure...

·
Registered
649 Posts
Placement test are taken at lots of highschools. Usually Private ones. Anyways he doesnt need to study or be ready because it will just check what he knows. u cant expect to know everything because they are supposed to measure where u belong. The bad thing is some schools dont have honor classes or if they do its some bs class. Like Honors english all u do is read and do book reports. Least thats how my old highschool was like.

·
Registered
172 Posts
America (or at least Texas) does use placement tests as a benchmark of how well the school is doing, and whether students need special attention or advanced classes, but every child is guranteed education from 1st grade to 12th. I think as long as you are under the age of 21 you can keep going to school, no matter how many times you have to repeat grades. If your cousin made it that far in school in India he should have no problems in the US, outside of the language barrier.

·
¡Viva La Rob!
6,076 Posts
PhantomDude said:
America (or at least Texas) does use placement tests as a benchmark of how well the school is doing, and whether students need special attention or advanced classes, but every child is guranteed education from 1st grade to 12th. I think as long as you are under the age of 21 you can keep going to school, no matter how many times you have to repeat grades. If your cousin made it that far in school in India he should have no problems in the US, outside of the language barrier.
new york does, for the middle shcools they have to take tests called 'terra nova', its not really placement, but its a statistic test. they used ot have math placement test, but they took it away because it was unfair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts