Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this barrel in a bunch of stuff that i bought today, but I don't know what it fits. from tip to tip it is 10.5 inches long. it also has the Smart Parts logo on it. it looks like an All American front, could this be it?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, next question is; it fits my freak jr back, is it a better barrel than the freak jr front? It's 1.25 inches longer than the front section on my freak jr. Does the Freak and Freak jr. use the same backs?

·
MODDER!!
422 Posts
it actually will be better unless the freak jr front has spiral porting, i read that spiral porting is good becauuse it makes then gun more accurate, the straight porting makes the ball start to bounce in the sip of the barrel where the porting is, i also read that spiral also help clean out a barrel break somehow(?).

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Um... Porting is just that... Porting
The way that the porting is configured does nothing to impart spin on the ball, and even if it does, it isn't going to help

If spiral porting was so magical to make paintballs fly straighter, than everyone would be doing it.
Spiral porting isn't even different than straight porting; if you look at the ports, make a line straight down the barrel and that line will hit multiple ports, esssntially a straight porting in a fance spacing pattern.

The only thing the front you have there might do is make your shot quieter, more length to push through brush or push into bunkers, and look different

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
Porting is only useful for venting gasses thus making the 'report' at the barrel end quieter. As was demonstrated very early by tests done by Craig Palmer of PPS, and, I believe Tom Kay of AGD also studied it, no spin was imparted on the ball due to porting. I know they were looking at backspin type barrels to combat the sales of the flatline at one time. SP will tell you that spiral porting is the bomb when it comes to their barrels, and I believe they have some sort of patent, but what the Gardner Brothers won't tell you, is that it is an advertising gimmick designed to *gasp* sell more barrels.

Accuracy in paintball has to do with three things only, the bore size, paint size, and velocity. Get all three things in balance and you will be the most 'accurate' of those guys out on the field which is still a group the size of a trash can lid. Porting doesn't even enter into the equation.

Now... having said all that (off topic no less). It is my educated opionion that the AA barrel front will perform the same as the Freak Jr. tip. The only difference is color and size, which again, really has nothing to do with overall performance.

Shoot both and report back on what you find out...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last weekend I went to the local field, and liking the looks of the AA I put it on. At 30-40 feet it was shooting all over the place. I put the Freak JR. tip on and it was super accurate again. NO Comparison. Again it is used, but it is perfectly straight and i can't see any imperfections. I won't use it again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I cleaned it really well. I'm also a machinist, and have the tools to check for staightness, and its perfect. I checked where the tip and back come together and found nothing wrong. i don't know :confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most everything in paintball is marketing and/or witchcraft anyway so if something works for you stick with it.
I disagree! I have this magic box...

Just curious. Was the tip tightly screwed in to the back? I've had problems with used, loose barrels on new tips before.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Sometimes you run into poor quality control. Maybe it threads in slightly off-center, maybe it isn't bored wide enough, maybe the porting hasn't been de-burred, etc. But it definitely doesn't shoot any different because of the porting.

·
Banned
14,001 Posts
nah i read the when the air escapes in an up and down motion it will cause the ball to bounce in the up and down, side to side directions, that why spiral porting came out...the spiraling eliminates the up and down motion
um, except for "straight porting" does not mean the lines of porting are on the top and bottom of the barrel, theres no way to make that possible, barrel X will screw into marker A 5 times and will screw into marker B 5.25 times so depending on how for it screws in you will have the porting facing different directions. the only way i can see porting messing with the ball is if all the porting was on one side of the barrel, then the ball would be forced to that side of the barrel due to the higher pressure air behind it trying to escape. but every barrel on the market that im aware of, has porting on multiple sides straight porting or otherwise

spiral porting does nothing different than straight, someone started thinking spiral porting was like rifeling and it took off, personally i like straight porting better, i tend to feel it cleans out a little better and just looks better imo.

·
MODDER!!
422 Posts
um, except for "straight porting" does not mean the lines of porting are on the top and bottom of the barrel, theres no way to make that possible, barrel X will screw into marker A 5 times and will screw into marker B 5.25 times so depending on how for it screws in you will have the porting facing different directions. the only way i can see porting messing with the ball is if all the porting was on one side of the barrel, then the ball would be forced to that side of the barrel due to the higher pressure air behind it trying to escape. but every barrel on the market that im aware of, has porting on multiple sides straight porting or otherwise

spiral porting does nothing different than straight, someone started thinking spiral porting was like rifeling and it took off, personally i like straight porting better, i tend to feel it cleans out a little better and just looks better imo.
give me a few days and ill find you that article i read that spiral porting is better

1 - 20 of 30 Posts