Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i need the best video card i can get for less than 70 bucks. either 64 or 128 mb. It has to have the transform and lighting crap "t/l" and should work good with bf1942. i have a dell 4550 with 256 mb or ram running xp. my manual says "APG bus protocols 4x/2x modes at 1.5v"

so far i have these cards in mind

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pclink/aopgefmx64ag.html

http://www.power-color.com/rv6p-b3.htm from http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=48&manufactory=1419&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

http://www.svc.com/at-9000-nt-99.html

tell me which is best out of those 3, and any others you could find for me

thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a really good deal, but idk if my motherboard would accept that:(

·
Registered
434 Posts
Get at least a GF3...the GF2 MX sucks, the Radeon 7000 isn't much better. The Radeon 9000 is probably the best of the three you have there, you can grab a GF4 Ti4200 for less than $100 from newegg...your motherboard should support most cards, according to the Dell website that model number has at least a 1.8 GHz P4...I can't imagine it not running a pre-directX 9 card. You should open the computer and make sure it does have an AGP slot...sometimes you have onboard AGP but no slot...in which case you're screwed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yeah that ati 9600 is the deal!..i got a 9700 pro and it kicks ass..the 9600 is pretty sweet too

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SEAL-1 said:
Get at least a GF3...the GF2 MX sucks, the Radeon 7000 isn't much better. The Radeon 9000 is probably the best of the three you have there, you can grab a GF4 Ti4200 for less than $100 from newegg...your motherboard should support most cards, according to the Dell website that model number has at least a 1.8 GHz P4...I can't imagine it not running a pre-directX 9 card. You should open the computer and make sure it does have an AGP slot...sometimes you have onboard AGP but no slot...in which case you're screwed.
but when i go to device manager it says "agp 1x, 2x, 4x" so idk if it will allow a 8x card

·
Registered
434 Posts
Even if you get an 8X card with a 4X slot, it will still work. The card will just run at 4X speed, they're backwards compatible. Besides, not all newer video cards are AGP 8X, you can still get GF4 Ti's and Radeons that are 4X.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i wasnt sure of that thanks. And my motherboard does have 1 agp slot, which is what my current vid card is plugged into

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
hmm...i'd say get a new computer cuz dells suck. lol. but on to the topic....the best of the video cards there is the 9600...don't i repeat DO NOT get an nvidia video card...horrible cards. I get good fps in bf1942, cs, halo, rainbow six 3, ut2k3 and all those other framerate challenging games and I just hagve the step above that 9600, I have the 9600 pro. so just my advice, go with the 9600.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok ill look around for more deals on the 96k cuz its sold out at that link

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
faster clock speeds. it'll come in handy when you want to go play BF1942 with the settings maxed, all particle effects, and everything. that way it can process it all faster and you won't see your framerates suffer. Plus it would also be a good investment for if you want to play Half-Life 2 or Doom3...which we all do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Nvidia cards do not suck. I get high framerates in all of the games you just listed, and I only have a GF4 Ti4400. Not to say you're stupid, but just about any video card made in the last five years will get high framerates in CS seeing as how Half-Life, the game it runs on was released in 1998.

I've used both, and my opinion of ATI is they make a good product, but their driver support is somewhat lacking. They had huge problems with their catalyst drivers when they first came out, and only recently they managed to correct them. Nvidia cards are not "horrible," its all personal preference on what brand to buy.

·
to lazy to change avatar
1,777 Posts
overclocking is(correct me if I'm wrong) when you set the speed of a computer part higher than it it designed to go. ex: say you have an amd xp 1900 runing at 1.4 ghz, you could overclock it to 1.6 ghz which would make it a 2000, but I wouldn't overclock anything unless you know what your doing, and the risk's involved, you could fry the component that you overclocking or even your entire computer...hopes this helps

·
Registered
434 Posts
You can overclock a video card's GPU and RAM to achieve higher framerates, somewhat similar to overclocking a CPU.

·
Registered
434 Posts
well seal all I can say is for the Half-Life 2 series, nvidia cards are sh*t. i'm just saying this from the framerate perspective.
And you refuse to accept the fact that the test in which the FPS benchmarks were taken from was stacked in ATI's favor. If you use one company's most recent drivers, and the other company's drivers that they stopped working on five months ago, its natural to assume that the card running on newer drivers is going to have higher FPS. Finally, figure in the fact that the test was sponsored by ATI and not Valve. I'd take the results of such a test with a grain of salt and wait for a fair, third party framerate benchmark.

And once again, the problem is not a hardware issue but a driver issue. The cards themselves don't suck, the drivers they were run on did. I'm sure if you were to use ATI drivers from six months ago with HL2 the benchmarks would be terrible as well.

Its not even really an issue anymore, if they would've used Nvidia's detonator release 50 drivers instead of release 45, the benchmark test would've been on an equal playing field.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
not true. it's the hardware. I suppose it's an unfair advantage to sponsor one company over another, which may give some credence to this. The codepath the nvidia cards use is not up to par with the paths used in HL2. you follow? (it's something like that lol :D) therefore, even with the newest drivers, the nvidia cards still suffer horribly. This can be attributed to either poor design on nVidias part, or, Sierra's favor of ATi cards (more likely). I've just been with ATi longer, and since they are a lot cheaper than nVidia, I suggest them to everyone. I'll admit tho, I had my share of nVidia cards. And they weren't bad cards either, I just have a personal preference of ATi.

I"ll give you this though: ATi's driver support earlier this year was horrible. I thought about going with an nVidia card after that, but I stuck with the 9600 pro. I'm glad I did though. It's better than my friends 5600 ultra, so i'm hapy :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts