Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im getting an xbox soon and i want to play live soi need some help seeing if all this will turn out good.

i am looking at this router.(i dont want/need a wireless router.) D-Link GamerLounge - EBR-2310 Ethernet Broadband Router

Product Description:
BASIC NETWORKING
Create a wired network in your home using the D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router (EBR-2310). Connect this Wired Router to a broadband modem and share your high-speed Internet access, check email, share files, and enjoy online gaming.

SIMPLE NETWORKING
This Wired Router provides four 10/100 Ethernet ports to connect up to four Ethernet-enabled PCs or network devices. Switching capabilities have been integrated into this device to efficiently manage your network traffic.

SECURITY PROTECTION
This Wired Router includes a built-in firewall for safeguarding your network from hackers and malicious attacks. Parental control features are also included to monitor Internet usage and block inappropriate content.

EASY TO INSTALL AND USE
The Quick Router Setup Wizard is provided to help you set up your network in minutes. A built-in Cable Tester Utility is also included to help you diagnose and troubleshoot physical cable problems.

For creating a simple wired network for your home, the easy-to-use D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router (EBR-2310) gets the job done.
Standards • IEEE 802.3 10Base-T Ethernet
• IEEE 802.3u 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
• IEEE 802.3 NWay Auto-Negotiation

Advanced Firewall Features • Network Address Translation (NAT)
• MAC Filtering
• Website Filtering
• Scheduling

Device Management • Internet Explorer v6 or later; or other Java-enabled Browsers

Certifications • FCC

Led • Power
• WAN
• Local Network—10/100Mbps

Operating Temperature • 32°F to 131°F (0°C to 55°C)

Operating Humidity • 90% Maximum (Non-condensing)

Dimensions • Item (WxDxH): 4.5” x 5.9” x 1.4”
• Packaging (WxDxH): 8.3” x 10.9” x 2.7”

Weight • Item: 0.5 lbs
• Packaging: 1.6 lbs

Warranty • 1 Year*

Minimum System Requirements • Cable or DSL Modem
• Computer with:• Windows® XP SP2 or Windows 2000 SP4**
• Internet Explorer 6
• CD-ROM Drive
• Network Interface Card

Package Contents • Ethernet Broadband Router
• CAT5 Ethernet Cable
• Power Adapter
• CD-ROM*** with:• Installation Wizard
• Product Documentation
and this is what i was thinking i would have to do but im not sure. i think i might have it backwards

thanks for your help.

·
Certified Caffeine Addict
3,072 Posts
Your cable input goes to your modem, not your router.
Use a network patch ethernet cable to go from your modem to your router. Then use two more network patch ethernet cables, and make one go from router to computer (If you plan to share the internet connection with the computer). The other goes from router to Xbox.

·
to lazy to change avatar
1,777 Posts
yes, pizza is correct. The cable goes to the modem first, then from the modem-to the router. Then whatever you want to share the network plugs into the router from there. You may have to go into the router configuration after everything is set up and open/close some ports for your xbox.

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
You want a router for this, not a switch.

They don't need to say anything about gaming, they will work for the XBox. All a router does it route the electronic signal from the modem to your XBox. It doesn't care what it's hooked up to (XBox, PS2, a PC, a Mac, etc), it just knows to send the signal that way.

Get the first router you showed us, or a Linksys or something. If you need any more help, let me know. I have decent experience with small networks and might be able to help.

-Jin

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the first router seems somewhat complicated. it says i have to install stuff etc. that would be ok for my computer but what about for xbox?

so the first one is a good one to get? or do you have any other suggestions for under $75?

·
I'mma Let You Finish.
7,445 Posts
the first router seems somewhat complicated. it says i have to install stuff etc. that would be ok for my computer but what about for xbox?

so the first one is a good one to get? or do you have any other suggestions for under $75?
You wont need the software on your xbox you just need it on your computer to make setting up the router easier.

·
WWW.GAMEBOZO.COM
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so the first one is a good one to get?

and also is a cat e5 the kind of cable id be using for this kind of stuff? thanks

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
Yes, it's CAT5 cable with an RJ45 connector. It's a standard ethernet cable, just like any of these.

There are several reasons why you want a router and not a switch, but I don't really feel like going into it right now. If you want to know, Google it. But take my word for it, you want a router.

-Jin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts