Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need help with this stupid math problem...here it is:
A rectangular piece of sheet metal measures 26 in. by 20 in. A square measuring 2 in. by 2 in. is cut out of each corner, and the sides are folded to form a box. What is the volume of the box?

this is for some math homework, can sum1 please tell me how to do this problem ?

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
2 * 22 * 16 should give you your answer.

EDIT: 704.

Since you cut out 2 inches, 2 inches is the height/depth. Then, because they were squares, take out 2" twice from each edge (2 sides of the edge). so 2 * 22 * 16

·
Registered
23 Posts
the demisions of your box will be 22 long X 16 Wide X 2 tall. Use those for your equation and see what you get.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You only took 2 inches off each side. You should have taken 4, because it's two from each corner. I think?

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
I know, I know, i edited it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow thanx guys,
Roy: your answer is 864 cm cubed
Wheels: your answer is 704 cm cubed

·
Registered
416 Posts
i think its 2*16*22 (do the math im too lazy find a calculator). i drew a pic. your orignal is 20 by 26. you take 4 off each side because 2 off each corner. so its now 16 by 22. the folded up sides gives a height of 2. so it comes down to h*L*W.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wheels said:
You only took 2 inches off each side. You should have taken 4, because it's two from each corner. I think?
yeah wheels, ur right thanx for all the help guys

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[email protected]_Gunna said:
i think its 2*16*22 (do the math im too lazy find a calculator). i drew a pic. your orignal is 20 by 26. you take 4 off each side because 2 off each corner. so its now 16 by 22. the folded up sides gives a height of 2. so it comes down to h*L*W.
thanx also for explenation, seriously, i would have never got that...thanx again guys, i owe ya one ;)

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Wheels said:
Try thinking outside the box sometimes! HAHA GET IT!
:rofl

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
go away flamer !!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol that is kinda funny tho...

·