Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I recently played a couple games of paintball with a bunch of friends from work (20 of us) and I had an absolute blast. We played woodsball because we figured that speedball would just cost too much. So now after looking online a bunch and lurking on these forums for a bit I am definitely considering buying myself a marker. I don't want this to be like every other post for "HI Im noob looking for rox0r gun!11!!" so I have taken my time and done some homework and have narrowed it down to a few choices.

However, I still have some questions that reading blank stats that have little meaning to me can help so I have come here to ask the people that know what they are doing. I mainly plan on playing woodsball with my friends casually, probably a 6 or so times a year and maybe a large event or so. What I am looking for is a robust gun that can take punishment, easy to maintain and clean, can be upgraded for performance and aesthetics purposes. Weight isn't a huge issue because I'm 6'2 so there is no problem with a heavier gun. As far as budget goes, I would like to keep it reasonable for a person that only plays games every month or so with friends. That being said here is what I have narrowed it down to:

- Tippmann 98 Custom
- Spyder Vs1
- Bt4 Combat
- Spyder Pilot

I haven't read to much on the BT though a lot of people think they are decent guns. Anyway what do you guys and girls think as far as first gun and possible upgrades to follow.

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
What I am looking for is a robust gun that can take punishment, easy to maintain and clean, can be upgraded for performance and aesthetics purposes. Weight isn't a huge issue because I'm 6'2 so there is no problem with a heavier gun. As far as budget goes, I would like to keep it reasonable for a person that only plays games every month or so with friends.
What that all boils down to is:
What I am looking for is a Tippmann 98 Custom.
I wouldn't go for the package deal if I were you. 20 oz CO2, just a regular shake n bake hopper, and try a few different masks on to see how you like them. A few good names are VForce and JT as far as masks are concerned.

Good luck, and good job on the research.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am leaning towards the 98c for sure but one thing that always comes up is the ACT. Now I know how it works but is it really worth the extra money to get the upgrade from the basic 98c?

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
Well, the ACT isn't bad, but anything with eyes will blow any type of ACT or ACS away.

The 98c is a great little marker, but recently, the trigger sears have been wearing down prematurely on a few newer ones, and thatleaves me a bit weary of them.

The VS1 is another good choice, eyes, and it's electronic, so the trigger pull with be a lot lighter, and that equals to faster shooting.

Those are the best two choces out of your bunch IMHO. Pick one of them, they're both great.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only concern with the vs1 is if it is sturdy enough for woodsball. I know they are decent speedball markers and they are light and very well made but I tend to do a lot of jumping around and the last thing I want is a broken marker.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
get a tippman 98 very strong easy to keep, and a good marker
Ha... have you tried to take down a tippmann on the field? Spyders also win that part hands down. One pin and you in your Spyders guts.

·
Premium Member
23,657 Posts
I'm really starting to hate these tippman fanatics. seems all they do is claim tippmans are god-like without any support to the claims.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
yup, i concure.

tried working on a tippy once, hated it to hell, to clean it, you have to almost take the whole thing apart :(

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
Ha... have you tried to take down a tippmann on the field? Spyders also win that part hands down. One pin and you in your Spyders guts.
When have you ever had to take apart a Tippmann on the field? Never. And you're telling me that you have taken off the CO2 and taken out the bolt, hammer, etc on the field? Where they can get full of **** because you have no place to put them besides the ground? If you need to clean the barrel you just pop the feedneck to the side and throw a pullthrough in there, actually much easier to do on a tippmann than on a spyder.

Come on now..

Tippmann's require little to no maintenance. Especially with only playing as little as you will be, you'd have to keep the spyder oiled and clean, whereas with the tippmann you can just keep it in your bag til next time.

They're both great guns but 9 times out of 10 back in the day when a gun would go down between me and my friends, it would be a spyder or spyder clone, not any of the tippmanns.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
recently, tippmann sears have been wearing down prematurely, i've seen it at my local field, and that leaves we weary of tippmanns.

but still, i never said that tippmanns were bad, just IMO Spyders are better

and like some guy once said "Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink" :)

·
shine on.
10,745 Posts
You've said that. And all you'd have to do is call up Tippmann and get your free one in the mail. It seems you have one fact (that seems to be localized because I've never heard of that but I could be wrong) and the rest is all opinion.

Silly kids.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another question I have is that if spyders, specifically the VS1, is as moddable as a tippmann? I haven't seen a whole lot of spyder milsims.

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
must agree with that, but all the "MilSim" mods are just cosmetic, they only take up money and look different, nothing performance enhancing, sorry to say.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I see, what can you guys tell me about the BT guns? I haven't heard a whole lot about them. Do they have the same customization and upgrade potential as the the others I have listed?

·
Paintball?
7,646 Posts
they're really a tippmann clone, havent heard much about them, good or bad, so I wouldn't really have a good opinion about them, apologies >.<

·
0 Posts
You can get a pretty good idea of marker quality by looking at reviews on the fora and pbreview. The BTs haven't been rated much so it's hard to say, but overall seems that tippmanns deliver better performance and are a better value than the BTs, but i wouldn't dare going as far as saying people dislike the BTs because most reviewers think they're not bad. But that's as far as going into woodsball and milsim.

There's lots of other markers that will perform adequately in most scenarios for recreational purposes, be it on a speed field or just plain old woodsball. But don't spend houndreds of dollars if you're only going out to have fun. Buy a cheaper, decent quality mechanical marker and you'll have years and years of fun with it.

I like the 98c, it's a nice marker, but the only think i hold against it it's that it's a friggin long marker, which makes it awkward in closed quarters. That's all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts