Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the forums for a while, been busy this winter. Anyways I got a 1997 Camaro for x-mas, I love it. So far i've put a new headunit in it. I ordered a new K&N intake the other day and im wondering if it will sound kinda funny? Like a rumble and a sucking sound?

Also how hard is installing a new exhaust?

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
V6 has enough get up and go to have fun with, but at the same time gets you decent mileage. Um, as far as the intake, nothing should change really, other than a slight increase in throttle response and horsepower. Don't expect any wierd noises.

Oh yeah 1337, that newer V6 will hang with your tired out TBI should you choose to get it ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
you talking about an intake like this right?

i made that for 55 bucks for my bronco.

you will hear a sucking noise somewhat. more air being pulled in.

however you wont get an increase in HP with just that. You get a better throttle response, i gained about 1 MPG increase with it. then it helped the sound of the headers and true dual flowmaster exhaust sound.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Inatke is simliar to it. Also when the cars in reverse and you dont have the cluth all the way down it makes a grinding noise...were getting it chcked out tuesday but anyone here know what this might be? And how much would it cost to fix it?

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
Master of Paint said:
V6 has enough get up and go to have fun with, but at the same time gets you decent mileage. Um, as far as the intake, nothing should change really, other than a slight increase in throttle response and horsepower. Don't expect any wierd noises.

Oh yeah 1337, that newer V6 will hang with your tired out TBI should you choose to get it ;)
Hah, guy never showed up so I guess I'm not getting it unless he still has it in 2 more weeks.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Ahmadi6490 said:
The Inatke is simliar to it. Also when the cars in reverse and you dont have the cluth all the way down it makes a grinding noise...were getting it chcked out tuesday but anyone here know what this might be? And how much would it cost to fix it?
Do you mean it isn't going into reverse or does it just grind a little when you let out the clutch?

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Sounds like a worn syncro if it is only doing it in reverse. Transmission repair shop should be able to fix it up.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Ahmadi6490 said:
Yeah it only does it in reverse, thanks. Also how much do you think they'll charge to fix it? Or would I be better off getting a whole new tranny...its got 100k on it.
Well, to completely rebuild it it's usually $1,000-$3,000 depending on the transmission. I don't know exactly what your problem is without seeing it, but internal transmission problems are usually pretty expensive. Most places charge $500 just to drop it, tear it apart, and diagnose it, never mind fix it. Take it to a good mechanic and see what he says, it could be something simplier and easier to fix. I just tend to tell people the worst it could be so they are prepared.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
cant_c_me said:
jeez you got some ****ty mech's when i had my new tranny put in they only charged me $100 but im betting it is gonna cost alot more then that if its not a clutch problem
No one will put a whole new trans in for $100. I don't know what they did, but they didn't put a new transmission in. The rebuild kit to do it yourself costs $200+ and that doesn't include fluid, tools, ect. Anyway, like I said, the prices I gave him are worst case scenario or if he wants to put something a bit better in there.

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
That's why, you're talking automatic, we're talking standard. Different animal.

Anyway, here is one place that would clean it, rebuild it completely, replace the syncros, and check it over (replacing gears if you need them), which is basically what you want if you are planning on restoring it to almost new condition: http://www.moderndriveline.com/Repair_Rebuild_Services.htm

They're cheaper than what a mechanic would charge to do the same thing, but you would have to drop the trans out yourself, send it to them, pay to have it sent back, and put it back in yourself.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll try nd get some pics later, camera aint working so well. My Intake should be here by Wednesday, and all i've really done to it is put in a JVC headunit. Maybe an exhaust in the spring if I can figure out to do it myself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts