Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm going to write an 8 page report on paintball for history. Mind you, this is an AP class and it's worth 10% of my grade. I need cited sources, and I'm going to have to look around for some books on paintball (if you guys have any recommendations, please tell me). I'll need graphs, timelines, maps, etc [all outlined below]. I'll definately need help from you guys, and any information or sources you can provide would be great.

Date Due: 1/14

Describe:
a. Origins
b. Timeline
c. Present Day
d. How it affected society AND how society has affected it

Include:
a. Charts
b. Graphs
c. Pictures
d. Maps

That's basically what the 8 pages are going to be. I'll also need pictures, especially maps. I was thinking a diffusion of paintball map or something. Thanks :)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Orgin (i dont kno where i got this) but i did a similiar project last year...Orgin of paintball is a while back (i think it was 80s) farmer makes a paintball gun designed to mark trees for crop cycling

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Ya, some kid told me some farmers took some cow marking guns to settle a dispute. And thats how paintball was started.

D

·
0 Posts
apg had an article on the first game ever i think.. or was it a different mag.. i dunno, id look.. but i have too many to go thru

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
vpraidersfan1 said:
Ya, some kid told me some farmers took some cow marking guns to settle a dispute. And thats how paintball was started.
No. That is not how paintball started. Not even close.

The GUNS first used in paintball were made in 1969. They were originally designed for marking trees and cows with difference colors. (The Nelspot 707 and 007)

Then in 1980, a group of WRITERS had a hypothetical argument about SURVIVALISM. They wondering if you stuck some "city people" and some "country people" on a deserted island, who would last the longest?

One guy though that survival was based on instinct (and the city people might win), the other thought it was learned (and the country people might win).

So, they tried to figure out a way to do the experiment, and happened to see an ad for the "Nelspot 007" in a magazine. So, they ordered one, and tested it on each other to make sure it was safe.

Then they created a set of rules. IE Your "out" when you shot, and your main objective is grabbing a flag. Same rules as today, except the first game was "every man for himself".

Then they rounded up a bunch of people. Some from the city (lawyers, writers, etc), and the country (farmers, game warden, etc).

Then they made up the field: They stuck some "flags" in the woods of northern New Hampsire. Then they played the game. The person who won was the "game warden", and he never fired a shot!!

Paintball would have died hear, except for ONE VERY IMPORTANT EVENT. One of the first players was a writer for Sports Illustrated. He has so much fun, he wrote about it as a small article in 1980.

Much to everyones surprised, it generated HUGE interest. So, those 2 original guys started "NSG" to distribute "player packs" which consisted of the 007 gun, mask, paint, arm-band, flag, and instructions. It sold EXTREMELY WELL in 1980-1982.

In 1983, those same guys invented for the gun SPECIFICALLY FOR paintball: The Splatmaster. A crappy plastic gun, but the most popular gun of the 1980s.

OK... my fingers hurt from typing so fast. This was all from memory. I'll try and write some more later. Oh, and one of those original guys was "Bob Gurnsey". Usually cosidered the "inventor of paintball". He SPECIFICALLY never patented or trademarked anything back in 1980 to encourage growth of the sport.

Pretty cool thing to do.

nick

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
but the first guin invented was used for marking cows/trees correct?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yes.

The first gun was the Nelspot 707, made by Crosman from 1966-1969. Sales were slow, so Crosman stopped production.
Then Nelson went to Daisy, and they made the Nelspot 007 from 1970 - 1995.

Nelson still makes guns for shooting trees and cows. They now use the DSDS made in China. Also in the 1970s, Sheridan made the "PG". Similar to the 007 and 707

The 007 was improved to become guns like Traccer, Phantom and AT85R.
The 707 was improved to become guns like all Tippmanns, and inline Brass Eagles.
The PG was improved to become guns like Spyders, Cockers and Timmies.

From 1966-1985(?) all paint was oil-based, which was a total nightmare to clean. The water based stuff we use now is a HUGE improvement.

The GAME ITSELF has remained fundementally the same as it was 20 years ago. The rules and objectives are all identical. The main difference is the fields and teams have become smaller. The guns shoot faster, and the games are quicker. The main reason is people discovered you can make more money with smaller, faster games.

It is hard to judge the influence of paintball. Today, it is considered an "extreme sport", but back in the 1980s, it had a VERY NEGATIVE image is a game for survivalists. But, some could argue that it is the first "extreme sport". I don't agree with that, but it could be argued.

Within the scope of history, there is many areas you can focus on. Technological improvements. Safety issues, legal issues, influence, international scope, etc.

A good chart might be number of accidents, or growth (and growth potential) for paintball. For perhaps a chart for "average paint use" or "gun speed" or "size of fields" or "number of fields". Or some combination of variables. Like a chart showing "speed of guns" verses "number of injuries". The combinations are endless.

Nick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts