Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bang Bang Bang
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i like working on my car, yet i dont know exactly what i should do to it

03 Honda civic 1.7L Vtec.

i have an exhaust(no, not a fart can, a low sounding, not loud exhaust)
and an intake.

i want to do more stuff to the motor, but im not sure as to what the next step should be. i definately want to go turbo this summer, because im tired of being slow. I want to do what i can to get it prepared for turbo.

What items do you guys think i would need.

Another thing im looking at is an engine swap, if anyone knows of an engine that would pretty easily be able to be swapped.

·
Bang Bang Bang
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didnt make this thread for someone to be an ass. if you want to do that go make your own thread.

I have an intake, but i cannot get a cold air due to my manual tranny. supercharging sounds fun, anyone know where to find a kit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why would your transmission prevent you from getting a cold air intake? All they are is piping going to somewhere in the engine bay that will pick up cooler air than the stock location, generally they go to the fender well area. As for turbos make sure you do a lot of reading up, talk to people that have done it, then talk to shops who do it and make sure you have an idea of what you are talking about. No serious car enthusiast likes talking to someone who thinks they can just slap a turbo on their car and then be the fastest thing on the street. If it were me, I wouldn't put a turbo on anything without forged internals. You're going to need more fuel, you don't want to find out that what you thought was just enough fuel turns out to be almost enough at the cost of your engine. Your computer will also have to be re-tuned, not exactly cheap there. There are other things involved in getting your engine turbo'd but I'll move onto some other issues you will run into. How will your transmission hold up to the new found power your engine has? How are you going to set up your suspension to get that power on the ground? No fun having power if all you can do is spin your tires.

Now for super vs turbo charging. Superchargers are belt driven so there is naturally going to be a bit of parasitic loss there while turbos use exhaust gasses so you need to build boost. A lot of people consider turbos to be more effecient, but with the right set up they can both make serious power. I'm not an import guy but my guess is that it would be easier for you to find a turbo kit as they seem to be the hype these days.

Some final things to think about. Going fast costs money, once your going fast things are going to break which will cost more money. Make sure you know what you are getting into, buying good parts and slapping them together won't work, find proven combos and use them. If this is your only car, I'd be reluctant to do serious engine work because the work itself puts your car down and then when things inevitably break then it becomes a real inconvenience.

·
Gates Boxing Club
7,065 Posts
if you want a quick little jump get some premo spark plugs and wires, and swap them in, as they are prolly getting old and not as clean a spark.

for some quick bolt on power, get yourself performance header on ebay (they come dirt cheap for civics... like $100 shipped) and you will see an instant 10-15 horses. headers are fairly easy to install and should go in in less than a few hours with nothing more than a few wrenches and simple tools

·
Bang Bang Bang
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was looking at getting new headers..but if i plan on going turbo soon, the headers will just go right back out the door.

i was thinking and i can go some alternate routes this summer with my car. im just tired of the morons in civics with body kits coming beside me, and revving their engine. i mean, yes i keep up with them, but i dont want to do that, i want to spank their ass.

i am thinking as an alternate route
New SS headers
Higher flowing exhaust
Cams
Cam gear
underdrive pulley
coilovers
fuel rail
fuel injectors
probably new spark plugs and wires
new chip for my ecu, or a piggy back chip.

as for forged internals, could you explain more?

omg i drove my moms new 04 3.5l maxima yesterday, its like mad faster than my car, makes me angry.

·
We The People
5,925 Posts
I would be cautious about getting a high flowing exhaust on a non-turbo Civic.

Higher flowing = less back pressure = less low end torque

If you turbo it, however, the turbo will need the higher flow, and you won't have to worry about the loss in back pressure (the turbo picks up the slack).

-Jin

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
*AmIsH CocKEr* said:
Dude, you should get NOS yeah NOS. that **** is amazing(sarcastically)
actually nitrous is the best bang for the buck mod you can do :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
you need to do somethin for major hp, just intake and exaust and such won't add too much. and like was said, watch out for using too big of pipes, you'll actually do way more harm than good.

turbo, sc, and/or nos.

·
Registered
39 Posts
throw a t100 turbo with all the piping and stuff and you are good to go

·
Registered
833 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
Ya, if you have a plasma cutter... I've never seen headers that bolted in without some sort of modifications.

Well yea headers.... they might take some modification to bolt on but a HEADER... for a civic is fairly easy to put on. Its a direct fit bolt on replacement. At least it was on my Buddies 97 GS-R integra... and my room mates neon was just plain to easy to install a header on...

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
ComradeMolyneux said:
Ya, if you have a plasma cutter... I've never seen headers that bolted in without some sort of modifications.
I can show you a few pages full of stock replacement headers for 5.0 mustangs, bolt in no sweat

1 - 20 of 30 Posts