Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woman dies of 'water intoxication' after radio contest

A preliminary autopsy states that a woman died of "water intoxication" following a water drinking contest for a Nintendo Wii. News10 in Sacramento reports Station 107.9 The End's "Hold your wee for a Wii" contest had contestants doing exactly what the title says. The winner was the person who didn't release their bladder the longest. According to the woman's co-worker, after the contest, "She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad ... she was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her." The co-workers contacted the woman's mother later on to check up how she was doing and she discovered the body. No word yet on how much water the woman consumed.

Joystiq Story

·
Taking Back Control
2,191 Posts
im pretty sure if it came to me having a headache and crying about it from holding a piss that bad, id just wet my pants. sounds a helluvalot better than dying

besides, EVERYONES DOING IT!!!

Billy Madison FTW

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Man that is stupid. The things people will do for a piece of technology or entertainment.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
it's not the fact that she was holding her piss, even if she did go which i'm sure she did, that amount of water overworks your kidneys (they have to filter it all) and overworked kidneys get tired and fail. kidney failure leads to death by water intoxication.

D

·
0 Posts
it's not the fact that she was holding her piss, even if she did go which i'm sure she did, that amount of water overworks your kidneys (they have to filter it all) and overworked kidneys get tired and fail. kidney failure leads to death by water intoxication.
Water intoxication occurs when water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, upsetting the body's delicate balance of electrolytes, which are critical for nerve and muscle function.

- Water drinking contest blamed in death of California woman

D

·
0 Posts
I drank 6 litres of water (1.183 litres = 40 ounces) at work one day and felt so ****ing ****ty after.. I think when you drink too much water it ends up dehydrating you.. or something to do with salts.. I dont know, either way I was dead.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I drank 6 litres of water (1.183 litres = 40 ounces) at work one day and felt so ****ing ****ty after.. I think when you drink too much water it ends up dehydrating you.. or something to do with salts.. I dont know, either way I was dead.
you becme de-salinated. as in the amoult of salt in your body fluids falls below the salinity of you body cells. water rushes into said cells causing them to distend or possibly burst.

·
I Vore You
13,323 Posts
I try to drink 2-3 liters of water every day. I drank about a liter in an hour a couple days ago, I felt like ****.

D

·
0 Posts
the ****tiness I felt could have also been from heat stroke.. it was a ****ing hot day, hence the water intake.

I'll drink a litre+ of beer in under an hour and I feel better than I would if it was water.. strange. beer's kind of crazy like that.. if I tried to drink 12 bottles of any other liquid in a night, id puke. most be something in it.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
the most water i've drank within a short amount of time was a half gallon... and i chugged it as fast as possible.. i hate that feeling.. like you wanna throw up but you cant.. and then your pissing every 30 seconds on top of it all...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
the ****tiness I felt could have also been from heat stroke.. it was a ****ing hot day, hence the water intake.

I'll drink a litre+ of beer in under an hour and I feel better than I would if it was water.. strange. beer's kind of crazy like that.. if I tried to drink 12 bottles of any other liquid in a night, id puke. most be something in it.
I was thinking this exact same thing. If I drink 12 beers in a night (thats a pretty low guess) the only thing wrong with me is that I'm drunk. If I drink 12 glasses of water in a night...I die? Thats wack.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
Actually, I think that's wrong. If you drink 12 beers in a relatively few number of hours, there are probably other things wrong with your body. But being drunk, you're just not going to notice it, is my guess.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Actually, I think that's wrong. If you drink 12 beers in a relatively few number of hours, there are probably other things wrong with your body. But being drunk, you're just not going to notice it, is my guess.
But to die? I mean I realize its not good for my body, but I've done it a fair share of times and never had a problem.

·
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTFU
5,450 Posts
I have a feeling she had more than 12 glasses of water. Even so, I'm sure--since this is the first I've heard of it--that water intoxication isn't exactly a common thing. Her body must have sucked a little bit.

Also, I'm assuming that with this contest all of the water was drank in a short amount of time. If you drink 12 beers in a row in less than say, a half hour, you're at the least going to pass out and quite possibly become a victim of alcohol poisoning. I don't care how tough you are and how much of a tolerance you think you've built, 12 beers in a row vs. 12 beers in a night is entirely different.

·
NORTHCOAST HARDCORE
6,318 Posts
i drank a gallon of water in 15 minutes last year for 10 bucks. i puked my brains out and **** water like non-stop. after that was said and done i couldnt even stand. i never felt so bad in my life. in retrospect i should have gone to the hospital, i just slammed some gatorades to get my electrolites back up. drinking water like that can definitly kill you. the fact that i did it is completely moronic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts