Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play woodsball with a Tippman 98c w/ flatline. But everyone says how loud my gun is compared to the rentals (Pirrahnas and black maxx's) that everone else uses. Because of this when they hear me shoot the get down and cant be found (those pussys :dodgy: ) so I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to make a homemade silencer for my marker? I was thinking I could maybe do something with that little ported thing on the end of the flatline. (It just kinda twists off) like put some sort of tube around it and fill it w/ stuff?

Any ideas? (ANd please dont flame saying "oh you dont need silencers in paintball, its not the army, your not a sniper, blah blah blah...)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean something I can put on my flatline. I dont wanna buy a new barrel after spending $150 for this one.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Mostly loud cause it doesn't have porting.

Good luck. I wouldn't mess with it, really. If you drilled it to add ports (and I've thought of doing it), it'll probably ruin the inside and it'll just be a odd looking curved barrel with no advantage over a straight one.

What I was going to do was drill the bottom a little, where it's inside the hand grip, and put some fluff inside the grip. Cheap, but it could have worked a little. Like I said though, the chance of runing the barrel is pretty good compared to any benefit.

If you had something made to fit over the end, it would first off be illegal to own, and it'll probably snag on the balls and make them fly everywhere or just break them.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Here's an idea. Instead of porting the existing barrel. Make ur flatline a 2 piece. Put threads on the outside of the flatline, and have your extension/silencer screw on there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Get two inch PVC pipe, cut it to the right length, get some foam (the Flexible stuff, you can get it at a sewing store probably) Wrap the foam around your barrel, use masking tape to make it tight around it. Use enough that it will encompass the pvc, then just slide it over everything. If all goes well everything should be snug and not move. And there you go, a silencer. PS. Dont make it come any farther than the end of the barrel.

You might want to paint the PVC pipe black, then use some electrical tape (or black duct tape) and wrap it around the front of the silencer, just something to make it look better. Me and my Buddy did this, it worked alright.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
OK:

Put soft foam around your barrel inside the flatline barrel shroud. Fill it up.

4 to 5 inch long piece of PVC pipe, Large spring that is wider than your barrel. Drill a hole in two PVC Caps large enough for your barrel to go through, but not enough for it to slide off. Take your spring and superglue it (or mount it however) to one of these caps, so the hole in the spring lines up with the hole you drilled. Put this on your PVC pipe. This will be the front of your silencer. Fill the Pipe with sof foam around the spring. Put the other cap on. Secure it together. Thsi will go over your barrel. The spring keeps the foam out of the path of the ball (unless it curves a centimeter out of your barrel.

You are going to need to mount it to your barrel somehow. Either Duct Tape it, or you can dril a small hole in the side of the cap, and have a set screw to hold it onto the barrel.

Paint flat black (if you want). This and the foam inside the shroud will help. The bit with the spring allows you to have the PVC silencer not completely over your barrel, and you have some past your barrel. But because the spring is bonded to the hole in the cap (which is the size of your barrel and therefore lareger than a paintball), the foam will not hinder the path of the ball (if you made it right).

·
12,110 Posts
Be careful making it. Silencers, no matter what they are for require you to have a Class 3 FFL to purchase/own one. If you sell it or anyhing, make sure you always say it can't be used on a firearm. Law enforcement will take it seriously.

Use that expanding foam in a can stuff.

What I would do is take a crappy stock barrel and drill lots of ports in it, do what armo suggested and take it from there. Youalready spent a lot on the flatline, I wouldn't modify it unless you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
^ thats what i did to my stock dragunfire l.e.d. barrel. i used toilet paper as the foam, it was pretty effective. but pumps are the easiest guns to silence cause theres little to no mechanical noise (blowback)

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
Alpha, you seem like someone I could poke about this.

HP (or the HP on 'Nation at least) said that a paintball 'silencer' is legal if it is permenently attached (can not be removed at all) to the body of the gun, not just the barrel. Any thoughts? I'd bet a good deal that he wouldn't say anything unless he was sure he was right, but it's an interesting point to me.

The post also said that ported barrels were in the grey area between legal and not. We all know there's no shortage of those.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Like alpha said, Firearm silencers require a Class 3 license. As far as I know there is a small loophole that a paintball marker is not a firearm (no explosion to propell projectile) and as long as the silencer can not be "converted" to be used on a firearm it is ok.

Then again, the ATF says that anything that can be converted into a firearm silencer is illegal (something to that effect).

So sorry guys, empty 2 Liter Coke bottle are illegal. So are towels, and potato as well.

·
12,110 Posts
HP on the nation said that? HP Lovecraft? If its him I'd believe him. If not I'd challenge it. I mean if silencers that were attached to real guns permanently, we'd see tons of real guns made with non-detachable silencers.

Im not sure if federal law defines a marker as a firearm, but I know my state law does.

What would they do with rail guns?

And to clarify, in order to get a Class 3 license, you need to be a Firearms dealer

1 - 20 of 31 Posts