Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a budding auto enthusiast. Well not really, I'm buying a car within the next few months.

Background info:

I drive about 20 highway miles to work and back 4 or 5 times a week.
I live in New England. It snows wickid haad.
I only make about 7 bucks and hour and work about 20-30 hours a week.
I am a caucasian male teenager
I am very good at fixing things, especially mechanincal things. I know a fair amount about cars, considering I've never worked on one.

Throw some tips at me for buyign my first car. I'm probably going to pick something up for around 25-3500.

Theres a place down the street that has some fairly decent pickups (S10's and rangers a lot of the time) for a decent price. Is it kosher to haggle with them?

BTW insurance is 2700 for a step 14 minor driver with no experience in massachusetts. Wonderful. Thankfully the parents said they'd help me out with a downpayment.

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
2700/6mo or yr?

its always good to haggle with buying a car. if you can save a couple hundred why not? if they wont bother dealing with you, go somewhere else. also don't rule out buying private party, you can get decent cars for cheap. the downside is not having any kind of warranty and possibly getting a POS. just means you have to do your hw and not get the first thing that you like

·
12,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YEah. I'm on kellys blue book (kbb.com) right now just looking. I still have to go get my license. I drive fine, but i never finished the driving hours in drivers ed.. I have like 2 more to do.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I dont pay 2700 for a year. OUCH even if it is a year. I am not a very good driver (past tense) but that is like wow..............

oh by the way I know I sounded like an idiot....

·
Holy ****ing Asscrackers!
6,721 Posts
i paid about 1k for a year for my bike :D and that was a lil more than liability. my stang has just liability and its about 1200/yr. i've been drivin close to 4 years now, have 2 tickets and no accidents

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Insurance for me is $9,000 a year on the Cobra and $3,200 on the Mazda. I would love to have $2,700 insurance.

If you buy something privately bring a mechanic a long to look at it or ask the owner if you can bring it to a local mechanic before you buy it to get it checked out. As to what vehicle to get, if you do get a pickup get some sandbags for the winter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well, I'm biased on Hondas. They are efficient and don't cost a lot and last pretty much forever. Especially if you can fix things on your own. If it snows that much, won't a pickup be useless in the snow? At any rate, base your vehicle of choice on needs and not necessarily on wants.

In NJ I pay $1150/yr full coverage w/ $500 deduct. I drive a 96 Civic coupe.

Also take your time buying a car. Don't rush it b/c you'll be stuck with it for a long time. Unless you are like my buddy and make decent money and have good credit, he walked away with a 2002 WRX for $17K :)

·
1,751 Posts
Since were talking about insurance, I pay 381/yr. And that is 100/300k liability. I beleive with base liability is around 310/yr.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Spudchucker said:
did you just imply that a honda would do better in the snow than a 4 wheel drive pickup? :rofl
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't know that S-10s and Rangers came in 4WD. And I didn't say a Honda is better then a 4X4.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
If it had snowtires it would be better. A FWD car with snowtires is better than an AWD with summer/all season tires.

·
King of the Fuster Cluck
2,064 Posts
MagicMarker said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't know that S-10s and Rangers came in 4WD. And I didn't say a Honda is better then a 4X4.

your wrong.......they most definently do

·
Registered
160 Posts
2 legit said:
your wrong.......they most definently do
Well, I'm not that much into domestics since I started driving my Honda. My father was GM loyal and those always fell apart around 130K and he always bought them new. I have over 130K on my Honda (used) and it drives better and has no problems then my old domestic that only had 90K on it and I bought it new. Around 90K, the whole car had problem after problem. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

Although, I've always had a soft spot for Camaros and Mustangs, but they suck in the snow.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
MagicMarker said:
Although, I've always had a soft spot for Camaros and Mustangs, but they suck in the snow.
Any high hp car with performance tires sucks in snow. That's why you get a set of winter tires. Don't be fooled by 4WD either. 4WD can actually make winter driving worse because if all four tires break free and start spinning the rotation at idle might be enough to keep all four tires broken free which would keep you sliding. With only two drive tires usually the ones that don't have power to them will stay stuck long enough to keep you from spinning out and get the drive tires hooked back up. Believe it or not the best way to drive in winter is in 2wd then lock it into 4wd if you get stuck or are going up a hill. Don't forget, if you start sliding shift to neutral as fast as possible to help regain grip.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
MagicMarker said:
My father was GM loyal and those always fell apart around 130K and he always bought them new.
my cavalier has 148k on it..its a '92, and works GREAT. the only thing wrong is 1 speaker is broken. power windows/locks. my uncle said he had a cavalier that he drove to 250k which is pretty nice sounding for me, considering this is my first car. insurance for me is about 130 a month or less...not sure...

as for alpha..haggling is never out of the picture..dont go for the first car you think is great..look around for a while and look into private parties (as stated before) goodluck with your search

·
Registered
160 Posts
flowbob said:
my cavalier has 148k on it..its a '92, and works GREAT. the only thing wrong is 1 speaker is broken. power windows/locks. my uncle said he had a cavalier that he drove to 250k which is pretty nice sounding for me, considering this is my first car. insurance for me is about 130 a month or less...not sure...

as for alpha..haggling is never out of the picture..dont go for the first car you think is great..look around for a while and look into private parties (as stated before) goodluck with your search
I had a 93 Cavalier bought brand new. I finally got rid of it at 100K. As it got to 80-90K, stuff started really breaking down. And I kept up with suggested maintenence. First the A/C went then the power locks then I had cooling issues. Apparently, there was a leak in the head gasket and it wasn't worth fixing. When I brought it to the dealer to pick up the used Civic and drop the Cavalier, nothing seemed to work that day. I left the keys and drove away.

Don't get me wrong, the Cavalier served me we for 5-6 years. It was a good first car, but ever since the Honda, I wouldn't buy another domestic again. So the Civic has 130K and going strong.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
MagicMarker said:
I had a 93 Cavalier bought brand new. I finally got rid of it at 100K. As it got to 80-90K, stuff started really breaking down. And I kept up with suggested maintenence. First the A/C went then the power locks then I had cooling issues. Apparently, there was a leak in the head gasket and it wasn't worth fixing. When I brought it to the dealer to pick up the used Civic and drop the Cavalier, nothing seemed to work that day. I left the keys and drove away.

Don't get me wrong, the Cavalier served me we for 5-6 years. It was a good first car, but ever since the Honda, I wouldn't buy another domestic again. So the Civic has 130K and going strong.
well i guess its car by car...guess i got a good one =P but hey..if a civic works for you, to each his own. just clarifying i wasnt bashing but when you said that all GM cars die around 130k..well its not true =P

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
Uncle_T said:
is that shifting into neutral trick useful on FWD or AWD vehicles?
Both. It doesn't make up for not driving cautiously, but it has saved me a few times while plowing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts