Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im getting an a5 for christmas, and was wondering how accurate the flatline barrel is at normal, and extreme distances. Everyone makes it out to be either very accurate or horrible(at least from what i've read at pbreview) So, who has experience with it?

·
Wishes to play Pball moar
493 Posts
If you chop paint, then your going to have to go through hell getting it out, and what doesnt help is that the flatline for the A5 is picky with paint (expierence with my friend) its such an inconvienence that he took OFF the flatline and is using a stock barrel....but thats just him....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, reason is i want to try and get good at one shot eliminations, and if i could do that from afar it makes it even better. Is the apex any better? from what ive seen on google video it looks kinda accurate. I would say that i want to be a sbiper, but then i would get ten billion people saying "there is no such thing" and blah blah blah. Im trying to decide right now if i should get a tippmann for making long and precise shots, or if not, just get an ion or something.

·
Thats "Chief" to you...
1,671 Posts
get a tippmann for the durability.

Flatlines are not accurate enough to make longball shots, though i will admit the one for the a5 is a lot better than the 98c. For an a5 i would say it would be worth it out in the woods, just dont be too upset when you cant hit the broad side of grannys arse. They are good for laying down paint and letting your front guys move up. If you want actual accuracy, go for a J&J Ceramic, I really like those. If you are dead set on "one shot kills" get a pump. thumup:

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
The one on my 98 is puts out "Acceptable" accuracy when I have half-decent paint.

If you get that barrel dirty though, from oil spray or broken paint or whatever, you won't hit anything until you run a pull through squeegee through there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
OK, reason is i want to try and get good at one shot eliminations, and if i could do that from afar it makes it even better. Is the apex any better? from what ive seen on google video it looks kinda accurate. I would say that i want to be a sbiper, but then i would get ten billion people saying "there is no such thing" and blah blah blah. Im trying to decide right now if i should get a tippmann for making long and precise shots, or if not, just get an ion or something.
Ive been working on converting my A-5 to a sniper marker. Your right tho, theirs no such thing as a 'sbiper'. :p A sniper however, I believe is possible, but will require precise equipment that may cost a pretty penny. I currently have a R/T on my A-5, but im going to hold off removing it until i see its feasible to do so.

Just as a note tho, being a sniper is more than getting "one shot kills".

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes it does. the most common mistake by new snipers is they either give away their postion too soon or they are too impatient and dont wait for what they are after- a kill. although if you get a sniper that knows what hes doing then he can lead a whole team.- just depends on how much experience youve got and how you play the position.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Exactly. I beleve one of the major keys to being a sniper, is knowing when NOT to shoot. Which seems to be a hard concept for many to grasp. Thats proly the reason they say "no such thing as a paintball sniper".

Well, its not a 3d shooter sniper. Your not going to have aim bots, and the wind WILL accect your shot. Im alerady some what of a sniper, but mainly in that i do recon, and aLOT of hiding, waiting, biding my time for shots. I just need to get my equipment up to spec to get those one shot kills when i need them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
well ok, the flatline is made to go farthur, but that doesn't nessesarily make it less accurate, at further distnaces less accurate though. my cousin has one and he gets a diiferent outcome each time he takes if off to clean it. factory installed, go for it, but if you do it yourself be aware that these thing will change. (my cousin has a 98c, so i don't know if the a5's is similar or not.)

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
if i was gunna poor tons of money into a "sniper" marker i dont think i would use a tippman, couple of reasons, the problem is the marker itself, if you look at where it loads the paintballs in, it is way towards the front of the marker so if you are trying to get extreme accuracy you are gunna need a very long barrel in order to do this, by then the total length of your marker could be around 3 feet (with the air on the marker) which would be a pain to carry around, also if i was putting to gether a sniper and had to start with a A5 i wouldnt use the flatline, its a good barrel but the problem is that there are a lot of other people out there who also use it, so while your lying in one spot being a sniper there could be some kid running around who has the same range as you but can move from spot to spot
The a5 is a Tippmann. It shares a nearly identical breech and bolt assembly with the 98C. The difference is the Cyclone, but it isn't farther back. A "Bullpup" design would allow a longer barrel in a shorter overall length, which would be cool. But useless. Read more about paintball barrels and you'll find that longer is not better unless you want the 'look'.

·
Thats "Chief" to you...
1,671 Posts
the quality of the barrel will have more of an afect than that of the length, but if you had a 10" stiffi and a 20" stiffi which one would you chose if your gunna be a sniper?
Thats easy, the 10". Anything over 16" has actually been proven to slow down the paint. Slower paint = higher pressure = louder report = slower recharge rate = harder to stay concealed. But I agree, quality makes a lot larger difference than length. Personally I use a 14" and I play both speedball and woods. Its hella accurate and since I run a DM4, its super quiet too. So, in theory, my DM4 is a better sniper marker than just about anything that resembles a scenerio marker.

so if you are trying to get extreme accuracy you are gunna need a very long barrel in order to do this, by then the total length of your marker could be around 3 feet
When are you kids going to learn that a longer barrel DOES NOT mean better accuracy?! Paint to barrel match, pressure consistancy, bolt design, roundness of paint, These kinds of things will improve accuracy, not having a 26" barrel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
First of all, there is no "sniper" in paintball as any real player would agree with me. The flatline isnt very accrute. Its great for distance, but your going to be painting everything but your target

·
Registered
116 Posts
First of all, there is no "sniper" in paintball as any real player would agree with me.
*sigh* Would it make you feel better if we instead called it "recon"? Trbo323 is correct.

Sides the fact, I believe sniping comes from high accuracy, which, in turn allows military snipers to get one shot kills. But their is alot of work that leads up to that one shot, and I think you, and many others who claim 'they dont exist' for get about that other 95% of the effort it takes to pull off that one, single shot. Just because that 5% is very hard to pull off (i wont say imposable) doesn't mean the entire role doesn't exist.

Just for the record, im not talking about speed ball. I know most of you here play speed ball, but i really wish you'd stop acting like its the only form of paint ball that exists.

·
Screaming Koala
4,685 Posts
I'll completly admit that [Outside of speedball] it is perfectly acceptable to wait, hidden from view, and take single shots at a player. If you want to call it a Sniper, then go for it.

I had a wildly successful time doing it in one capture the flag game, as player after player walked up to my teams flag...and right into the sights of the pump gun I was using.

Yea...Sights. It's a Tippmann...they all have sights stock.

But expecting to hit someone from extreme range, with one shot, and have it break...well I'll continue to suggest that this may be a bad idea.

Now, could you do it with a flatline? Of course. You would have a pretty normal effective range, but you have the ability to aim straight at your target instead of lobbing at them. That may give you an advantage of not hitting low hanging branches or guessing range and aiming too high.
Remember when that one shot bounces from being too far away, or misses, that they're looking for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i currently use the A-5 with a flatline. as far as accuracy its not bad at close range but as far as long distance its not as cacked up as people make it out. I used to own a custom pro with a flatline and for some reason it had better accuracy at longer distances as well as close range. The A-5 is a pain to clean if you do break paint i recommend a cloth stick to clean it. The Custom Pro was alot easier to clean with the hopper that tilted but the a-5 doesnt have that. I use Marbalizer paint in teh A-5 and rarely have paint break. But you pay for the paint.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ok sorry for bringing back an old thread but so far my flatline on my 98 is beyond acceptable. it is the most accurate thing in the world (at least for my gun) u shouldnt use it unless its for woodball. its very accurate at close range and u can be very accurate at long. It dosent come setup so maybe u guys had problem with that? just suggestion maybe the coupling is on sideways or something. so far i have had awesome shots with that. and the 98 flatline is way better than the A-5's because its longer and more accurate. it all depends if y get one in the future message me ill try to help you out. again sorry for the bringing back of the old thread. just thought id clarify some things

·
Registered
166 Posts
the hammer head barrel won't shoot as far as the flatline period. as far as noise, it might make it louder, just because there isn't that much porting, but nothing to noticable.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts