Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Yay! whoops! yay!
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be in some trouble involving gas and not paying, but how do cops recognize your license plate?

I'm sure there is a list of people they are supposed to be looking for, but how do they know when they see one? Do they look over everyone's plate? Or do they have a machine or something that does it.

·
Shine on Rick Wright
3,235 Posts
He means, how do they know what to look for. Say theres 10 wanted licence plates, with 1000000000 of cars on the road, how do they pinpoint yours.

Good question, i dn

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
It's a fairly minor crime. It's the sort of thing that would only get picked up if you were pulled over for something else like a roadblock or another offense like speeding etc. Is gas really so expensive you need to steal it?

·
Yay! whoops! yay!
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't steal it.

I noticed you could pay for it with your debit card at the pump, so I did. Once I was done fueling I got a reciept and I thought that was the end of it. However, the money hasn't been taken out of my account.

Maybe it just takes a while to go through.

When I buy other stuff with my debit card, it normally takes the money out in like 8 hours, but it's been over a day.

·
Cunning Linguist
2,273 Posts
I think with debit it's supposed to be immediate but with my credit card sometimes it takes a couple days. Maybe it was free gas day.

·
He gon' get it!
2,799 Posts
They have cameras at the pumps that can see your plates. You run off with gas, they file report. Your plate, as well as your car make model and color are stored into the police computer database. Now say you get pulled over in a month for speeding. First they run your plates to see if the car is stolen/you are wanted for anything...in your case, running off with gas. Cop then sees your record and gives you ticket for it.

·
oh snap
4,241 Posts
paintballjunk12 said:
what if you put something over your plate,and then stole it?would they be able to get you?
they would still have a discription of the car...and you most likely would get out of the car so they would be able to see what you look like and identify you that way...and because they know who you are...then will know what your liscense plate number is

just dont get pulled over or anything...when the cop asks for your liscense and registration and goes back to his/her car...they run everything through a computer and they can see your entire record

if your liscense number and stuff were reported and they pull you over...then it will come up on the computer ahd the officer will fine you

dont ask me how i know all of this...its a long story

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
If you pd at the pump with debit, it should only take a day or so, unless the that establishment is slow. Credit at the pumps take 2 to 4 days. ( I know, from doing it for yrs). All I would do is keep the receipt and if they pull you over, you'll have proof. That's your best bet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts