Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is planning his first match this weekend. He has 6 hoppers filled and ready to go. Have no idea what the weather will be like. Was planning on keeping the extra paintballs in a small cooler with a small icpak untill he needs them. Any comments? ow do you keep your paintballs ready to go?

Also, I have a barrel thats several years old. Is there anyway to identify what it is? Don't have a receipt anymore and the store is gone.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, if you use an icepack, you'll freeze the paint and it might not break on target, and it will hurt really badly.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
Yeah, if you use an icepack, you'll freeze the paint and it might not break on target, and it will hurt really badly.
paint wont' freeze..period. Go pt some balls in your freezer..they can't possibly freeze at 32degrees F. or at any temp you can reach with a freezer
Putting ice in the cooler will introduce a great amount of moisture to the paint and will cause the shells to get soft and/or swell.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
They don't actually "freeze", but the shells do harden and they not only hurt like a mother then, but they don't often break on target.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
They don't actually "freeze", but the shells do harden and they not only hurt like a mother then, but they don't often break on target.
... wrong. frozen or "chilled" paintballs, being that the gel or paint inside of them will not freeze, have an extremely brittle shell.

·
Superdeeduper Admin Type
17,772 Posts
I thought we put to rest the frozen paintball thing a long time ago..

1) As stated, paintballs will not freeze. They are incapable of freezing except at very very low temperatures.
2) The reason that the ice pack in the cooler isn't a good idea isn't because of "freezing" but introducing moisture or condensation into the mix, which will ruin the paint.
3) If the paint begins to take up moisture, it will swell and soften and will generally just be a plain old mess in your marker.

So dry, cool is ok -- like the inside of a clean cooler in the shade. No ice is necessary.

·
Administrator
23,657 Posts
I thought we put to rest the frozen paintball thing a long time ago..

1) As stated, paintballs will not freeze. They are incapable of freezing except at very very low temperatures.
2) The reason that the ice pack in the cooler isn't a good idea isn't because of "freezing" but introducing moisture or condensation into the mix, which will ruin the paint.
3) If the paint begins to take up moisture, it will swell and soften and will generally just be a plain old mess in your marker.

So dry, cool is ok -- like the inside of a clean cooler in the shade. No ice is necessary.
thanks for stating what I had already said...:hug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts