Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a query which is this: I have a relatively bad GPA (~3.1) but very good SAT Scores... wondering if its possible to get into a decent college? My guidance counselors are pawns and reveal nothing.

Just wondering if SATs were as important as I've been told by college folk.

I hope so. :cool:

·
Into the whole Yale thing
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that is essentially my plan. The unattractive part of this is that it is a "wasted" year generally b/c most higher tier colleges won't accept credits from lesser schools. AKA I'd enter as a freshman. Not the worst deal, but unfavorable.

·
I was saving that bacon
7,177 Posts
3.1 is alright. I had like a 3.0 and didnt have any problems. I took the ACT though, and had good scores.

·
Imperator
19,071 Posts
In my experience GPA is more important than SAT/ACT scores to most schools, but both need to be good.

Best thing to do is go pick up some of those books on colleges, like "The Best 361 Colleges" from the Princeton Review. They tell you pretty much exactly what you need to have in GPA and SAT/ACT scores to get into a certain school.

·
Woohoo
2,350 Posts
720 verbal 750 math (tough crowd on math... omitted 2 got everything else correct and thus my 750!)

SAT II's pending... prob 780 math I 720 math II 710 lit
You'll be good with a 1400+ and a 3.1 GPA. Most colleges go more off of SAT because it more represents how you'll do in college as a freshman. I got into a decent school with a 3.2 and an 1100.

So you'll be good. Unless you're wanting to get into Harvard or Yale...then you're up a creek.

·
Its never lupus
9,169 Posts
Take like 2 community college classes and get As. That will raise your grade up a lot (they'd be considered AP classes by your school, and therefore an A would be a 5.0 instead of a 4.0 or at least thats how it works here). Some schools, like University of Oregon, will accept you automatically if you have a 3.25 and above. Of course, that's assuming you've taken all the required classes, which are usually the pretty basic ones.

·
Premium Member
16,148 Posts
Take like 2 community college classes and get As. That will raise your grade up a lot (they'd be considered AP classes by your school, and therefore an A would be a 5.0 instead of a 4.0 or at least thats how it works here).
That wouldn't work here. You can take community college courses, but you only get credit from that community college. So your grades wouldn't be reflected in your HS transcript.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
i got a 1630 (give or take a little) on my SATs..out of 2400 of course. freshman and soph year i had a 2.7 gpa. no idea how i stand now. all my college apps are in so we shall see how i do.
i REALLY wish i can start over. damn ****ups..

·
Premium Member
13,027 Posts
3.1... bad?

Dude I've got a 2.1. I'm the one who's ****ed.

Oh well. I was planning on going to Community College for a year or two anyways. You don't need excellent grades to do well in life.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts