Paintball Guns and Gear forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm graduated from College and looking for my first "real" job. I've been a few job interviews and just wondering about how many job interviews do people go through before getting hired? My 5th one is coming up here... I'm wondering if 5 is normal or if I'm doing something wrong because most people get hired before 5 of them.

·
Premium Member
9,221 Posts
My current job, I interviewed 1 time and got the job. But the interview was a formality, I already knew the hiring manager and he had already decided he wanted to hire me.

The job before that (and the reason I got my current job) I had I believe 7 interviews before getting a job.

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
I got lucky, just one interview for my internship, but it took two interviews until i got my full time spot after about a year and a half. Put in 7 applications in total though, just happened to get a full time job where i interned first.

·
Pump is Better
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations!! Remember...physical brutality can only be done when noone is looking nowadays to keep evil little trolls under control.
hahaha I know the feeling. I'm a special education teacher and work with students who have behavior issues alllllll the time.

·
Erect member.
2,323 Posts
Thanks guys. My 5th interview ended up being the one that worked out. Thanks!
Grats man. Ironically, my job at Best Buy (working the Geek Squad, all right!) took me 4 interviews, but my new job (actual career) I didn't even have to interview for, I was recommended by a professor.

·
i play for keeps
7,001 Posts
In my experience...this is about what I've noticed:

For every 100 apps you send out, *maybe* 10 respond
For every 10 responses you get, you may get 4-5 phone interviews.
For each of those, you may get 1-2 in-person interviews.
Depending on the position...some places will interview you 4-5 times before hiring. The more entry-level you are, the fewer interviews you'll have with a company before getting hired.

Basically, interviewing and getting a job is a huge PITA and makes me wanna punch my own nuts. But that's how it goes. Get your foot in the door somewhere, LEARN a lot for 2 years, and always keep an ear out for new opportunities. Don't jump ship from a job before 2 years unless it's some incredible opportunity...companies will avoid short-termers like the plague.

·
Administrator
14,011 Posts
hahaha I know the feeling. I'm a special education teacher and work with students who have behavior issues alllllll the time.
so hanging out here must feel like your at work then....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts